Twenty

[|]

I was sitting in the middle of my bed while the phone that I knew belonged to Lucas Hamilton charged on the study table between our beds. I had not been able to wrap my head around the coincidence as everything seemed too good to be true.

Never in a million years would I think of meeting Lucas again. Especially in the most unusual way ever. Now, all I hoped was that the phone didn't ring from someone calling or that Lucas called.

As usual, the world hated me. The phone started to ring on the desk and I forced myself back into the wall. My eyes widened as I stared at the brightened screen of the phone.

"Oh, what do I do now?" I whispered and bit the nail on my thumb.

I didn't want to answer the call, because the last thing I wanted was to talk to Lucas but at the same time, I needed my phone so bad. It was what I used to study and do all my homework since I couldn't afford a laptop. I had to take the call and find out if he is with my phone or not.

I took a deep breath and got out of my bed. As I got to the desk, the door opened and I spun around like I was caught doing something bad. It was Maddy, probably back from her class.

"Class was boring today," Maddy said as she walked over to my bed. She sat down and tossed her books aside. "Can we go out to eat, please? I'm too lazy to head to my dorm across the campus."

Maddy lived in a residential building that was expensive and standard. She had even begged me to stay in the same building but knowing the price and how she was willing to pay for me, I didn't want it.

"Um... Whose phone is ringing?"

My eyes widened at her question and I looked over my shoulder at the phone. On the screen was an unknown number label which I was sure belonged to Lucas. I turned around and saw her eyeing me expectantly.

"Aren't you going to answer that? The sound is pretty annoying, you know. I don't even know why you changed your ringtone," she said and laid on the bed then closed her eyes. "You know what? I'm going to take a nap and then eat later."

I quickly grabbed the phone and glanced at the door then at Maddy whose breathing sounded relaxed, probably falling asleep already. I tiptoed toward the door and opened it slightly. The door creaked and I hissed.

"Where are you going?"

I held my breath for some seconds and glared at the phone when it started to ring. I muted the sound and turned around, smiling and pointing at the door.

"The bathroom... I want to use the bathroom. I'll be right back," I replied and walked out of the room.

I started walking away from the door with my eyes on the phone. I contemplated answering the phone call and returning the phone to the owner after finding out where he is but I was too chicken to do so. I didn't want to see Lucas again but I needed my phone.

"I don't think it's a good idea for me to return this phone or better still... He might not know I'm the one with his phone," I reasoned and jerked in fear when the phone started to ring.

With the fear and anxiety in me, I quickly switched off the phone and pressed it to my chest.

"I don't need my phone anyway. So, he can keep it... I guess," I said.

[|]

"I have a question," Maddy said the moment she walked up to my table in the school library. Since I didn't have my phone, I had to use the old-school method to do my homework.

"What is your question?" I asked as I closed my book.

Maddy sat down beside me and pointed at her phone. I looked at it in confusion and raised an eyebrow.

"What is it?"

"I've been calling you for two days and you've not been answering my calls. What's up with that?"

I immediately cringed and looked away. I played with my fingers as I thought of what excuse to give to her.

"Why are you so quiet? Did you lose the phone or something?" Maddy asked and I faced her.

"I don't—" I snapped my mouth shut when I spotted Lucas leaning against one of the bookshelves in the distance. He was smirking and between his fingers that was raised close to his face, was my phone. I gulped and looked at Maddy when I saw that she furrowed her eyebrows.

"What are you looking at?" She asked and started to turn her head but I was quick to grab her shoulders and get her attention before she could spot Lucas who shook his head with an amusing expression on his face.

"About my phone. It's at a repair store because I needed them to upgrade the system for me," I said.

"Why is it taking so long?" Maddy asked with a suspicious look on her face.

"Uh... I also needed to change something on the phone," I said quickly and she nodded.

"Okay. Anyway, I am here to tell you to be my tutor for one of my courses. It's a general course, so you should..."

Whatever Maddy was saying began to drift away as I looked back at Lucas who pointed at the phone and made a call-me gesture with his thumb and pinkie then mouthed something I didn't understand. I shook my head at him and he chuckled. When he started to walk toward us, my eyes went wide and I nodded my head, responding to his question. He stopped walking and smirked before walking away.

The moment he left, Maddy looked over her shoulder. I sighed in relief when I saw no one was there then smiled when she turned her face to look at me.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Maddy. So, what course do you need help with?"

A/n: Please, leave a comment and vote.