Forty

[|]

My lunch with Jared had gone smoothly. Jared was a funny person as he shared his childhood stories with me. During our lunch, he had not done or said anything that hinted that he wanted me or liked me in that manner. I had been expecting he would try to woo me or do something after that night, especially seeing me in such a state. It was almost as if that night never happened and I was glad because I didn't want things to be awkward between the both of us.

Since he was living in the apartment across ours, Jared and I walked home together, talking more about high school. As we reached the apartment building, Jared went his way and I stayed back when my phone rang. I took it out of my bag and saw it was a call from Andrea, making me clench my fist. I was not in the mood to speak to her about anything.

I accepted the call and placed the phone against my ear. I stayed silent and waited for her to speak only to hear another voice.

"...where do you want to go?" It was Lucas' voice and I got confused.

"Please, babe. I want you to take me out to the cinema. There's this new movie that came out," Andrea said and I heard the familiar sounds of kisses.

My heart stung as I realized how Lucas suddenly got serious with Andrea. I swallowed when Andrea giggled and the sound of rustling followed.

"Okay. We'll go wherever you want," Lucas said to her and I heard a door closing.

"...he's so romantic," Andrea said and some seconds of silence followed. "Oh, shit! Who's on the line? Jackie? Oh, my goodness. I am so sorry, I must've accidentally called your number because I was on my phone's dial app... I am so sorry for calling you."

"It's alright... I'll end the call now," I said, my throat tightening.

"Hold on... Uh, since you must've heard our conversation. Can I ask a question?"

I shut my eyes tight. I wasn't ready to speak to Andrea, especially when she might be dating Lucas now.

"Sure, go ahead."

"Awesome... Since you kinda claim that you know Lucas from high school. Do you by chance know what he likes or his favorite thing to do?"

I rolled my eyes. This girl was trying to get me to say something nasty to her. I did not also like the way she was trying to get me involved in whatever they were doing.

"No, Andrea."

"Are you sure?"

It was then I noticed she was acting too suspicious for my liking. It wasn't as if I was lying, I didn't know anything about Lucas and lord knows what she meant with that tone of hers.

"I am a hundred percent sure."

"Okay. I was only asking because Lucas' twentieth birthday is coming up next month."

"Oh... Well, I still don't know."

Andrea sighed. "Fine... I'll call you in case I need an opinion on the gifts I thought of."

I ended the call before she could speak again and thought about what she had said. Lucas' birthday was next month and I was now stuck between getting him a gift for helping me or pretending like I didn't know because I somehow don't want to get attached to him.