Thirty-One

[|]

Today was the last day of my first year in college and I was excited to finish the last paper. It was the easiest course for me so it didn't give me any difficulty in studying. Just before the start of the exam, I packed up the rest of my things and put them in a corner.

I had even become emotional because I could not believe I survived a whole year in college. Just yesterday, I was almost giving up but now, I was standing strong waiting for what the future might bring.

After I had made sure I would not forget anything, I sent a text to Lucas, to give me his address so I could take a taxi to his place but he had declined and said he'd pick me up. I was already living in his house and I didn't want him to waste gas from his house to school and back to his house but when I saw he was stubborn, I gave in.

Some hours later, I was done with my last paper and I ran out of class, excited. I even ignored the weird looks, everyone, in the hallway aimed at me as I did not care.

When I left my faculty building, I saw Maddy and froze for some seconds before running up to her and hugging her tightly. She laughed in my arms before I pulled away and noticed Clark in the car a little far away from where we stood.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"We came here to wait for you until you were done with your last paper. We also wanted to go celebrate," Maddy said.

"Celebrate? Celebrate where?"

Maddy shrugged. "At a club or something. Are you in?"

I was about to respond but I remembered I had told Lucas the time to come on campus which would be any minute from now. I didn't want to tell him to go back and it would not be considerate on my part since he wasted gas to get here.

"I wish I could come," I said and the smile on her face dropped.

"Why? Do you already have plans?"

"Not exactly but I'm supposed to be somewhere in a few minutes and it's important. Maybe we could celebrate some other time?"

Maddy pouted. "But I'll be leaving school tomorrow morning."

Now I felt bad but getting my things to Lucas' house was more important especially when I don't know when this celebration would end.

"But it's okay. We can go out before school resumes next session," Maddy said and hugged me tightly. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"You're hugging me too tight, Maddy. I can't... I can't breathe," I said through short breaths.

Maddy giggled and released me then poked my cheeks with her index fingers.

"I'll see you in a few months," Maddy said and walked backward. "Bye, Jackie."

I waved. "Goodbye, Maddy."

I watched as she turned around and jogged over to Clark's car. She boarded it and Clark honked, making me wave at them.

I waited until they drove out before I left my faculty to my residential building where I saw Lucas already waiting by his car. He was leaning against his car with his attention on his phone and when I got close, he raised his head and met my eyes.