Ninety-Seven

[|]

Jared had been driving for hours, heading to Redside after he had gotten my stuff from Lucas' place and my other ones at Maddy's. I had not also said anything to him since he was driving and neither had he asked even though I could see from his countenance that he wanted to know what happened.

Maddy had called and surprisingly, Lucas who had unblocked me called too but I never picked any of their calls. I even had to turn off my phone so I could save the battery. I needed to stay away from both of them until I could think straight.

Maybe after taking care of my troubled mind, I could try to talk to them again. If that was possible.

"Jackie?"

I blinked out of my deep thoughts and leaned away from the window. I looked at Jared who was facing the road while driving.

"Yeah?"

Jared sighed. "I'm sorry about everything."

"You know?" I asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"When I went to get your things, Lucas tried to get me to tell him where you were but I read the room and knew I couldn't tell him. I asked what happened and he told me everything, down to the pictures aspect. I'm sorry for what's happening. You've been the a lot from what I can see," Jared said, sympathizing with me.

I shrugged and leaned back on the leather seat.

"Also, I punched Lucas in the face when he told me he's supposedly married to Maddy. Why would he hide such a thing from you? The best he could have done was to let you know so you two can decide together on what's best. Now, he's left you alone."

"Jared, let's not talk about this issue. I don't want to cry again. I haven't eaten since yesterday and need rest. I'm worried about my baby more than anything right now," I said and placed my hand on my stomach.

"Wait, you're pregnant?!"

I hissed at the volume of his voice and rubbed my ear with my index finger. I glared at him and he smiled apologetically.

"Sorry... You're pregnant? How much have I missed since I went on a trip?" He asked and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"A lot as you can see," I muttered and spotted the welcome to Redside post ahead of us. I was glad that I was now back home, at least I could stay with my mother until I found myself again.

Half an hour later, Jared drove into my old neighborhood and I felt a shadow cast over me as I got memories filling my head. The houses on each side of the street were still the same, the balls and bicycles on the side of the road left by kids in the neighborhood gave me a nostalgic feeling as I used to love watching the kids play in the evening or weekends.

I found myself smiling when I saw a tree I used to sit under whenever I wanted to be away from the house.

"Which one is your mom's house?"

I looked ahead of me and pointed at the house upfront. When Jared parked on the side of the street, I frowned at the sight of a for rent poster at the entrance of our walkway leading to our house.

"Uh, I don't think anyone lives here anymore. Are you sure this is the place?" Jared asked, looking at me.

I unfastened my seatbelt and got out of the car. Slowly, I walked toward the house and saw no signs of anyone. The porch did not have any shoes or the seats that used to be outside. The window blinds were drawn down and the lawn was filled with litter.