Three

[|]

I ticked the last answer on the test sheet and rose from my seat, happy at my answers, knowing I would ace the test. I smiled at Mr. Rowland who nodded at me before taking my test sheet. He skimmed through then motioned for me to leave which I did, head high as other students stared at me.

There was this satisfaction and pride I felt at finishing tests or exams first and leaving that class. It was like me telling them they were too slow or didn't study hard enough, especially when it's something pretty easy to do.

I left the class and walked through the quiet hallways until I reached my locker in another wing. As I opened my locker, I tapped the pocket on my dress, only to freeze when I didn't feel my phone. I touched the other pocket and still didn't find anything. I looked through my locker and even my backpack but saw nothing.

"Oh, God!" I panicked. Where had I dropped or left my phone when I remember putting it in my pocket this morning? I closed my locker and stared at the floor, hoping I would see it.

My phone is the most expensive thing I owned and something my dad got for me two years before he died. It was old, old in every aspect. It helped me a lot and now it was lost. I had no money to buy a new one and getting a new phone or an already used one was too expensive. Mom or that man couldn't buy me one if they couldn't even care about getting me my tuition fees on time. I had to work hard for it at so many stores.

"Where could it be?" I whispered and touched my forehead. I closed my eyes, trying to remember if I had left it somewhere or used it before my test but I don't remember doing any of that.

I leaned on my locker and sighed, giving up on the phone. I pushed myself off the locker and opened it then took out my books for my next class. I closed it and walked away, feeling down.

[|]

I sat down on one of the chairs in the school's library and opened my books then uncapped my pen. I started to study but jerked out of fear when someone dragged out the chair close to me. I looked in their direction, only to gasp when I saw it was Lucas Hamilton. He was now fully clothed— Thank God. He was dressed in a white shirt and denim jacket, and dark denim pants. His hair was wet from his shower and he smelt so good.

I blinked, flustered and confused as to why he was here, sitting beside a nobody like me.

"Hi," he said and played with one of the leaves of my book.

"H-Hi," I said and swallowed. "W-what are you doing here?"

After knowing he was the most popular guy in school, I flushed at the memories of him so close to me in the locker room. Now, he was sitting with me and it left me flustered.

Lucas shrugged. "I just finished a class and saw you walk in here. I was bored anyway, so I came to talk to you."

"About what?" Why was he talking to me right now when he could be making out with one of the hot girls at school?

"As I said, I was bored. How was Mr. Rowland's test? His geography tests are on the list of the hardest subjects in school."

"No, it's not!" I retorted faster which startled him. I blushed when I heard shushing sounds coming from different places.

Lucas chuckled. "You look like the intelligent type, of course, his subject would look like ABC to you."

I bowed my head. "I guess."

"So, how come I've never seen you around before?"

I nibbled my lip at his question. I have reasons to be unseen in this school even though I've been in this school since the kindergarten level.

"I don't know, maybe I just prefer to be alone," I replied and fixed my pen between my teeth.

"Don't you have friends?" He asked.

I looked up and noticed his eyes shift to the pen between my teeth.

"No, I don't," I replied and popped the pen out of my mouth. "Look, I don't know why you're here but can you not ask personal questions? Also, I came here to study for the Advanced Math test coming up."

"That test is next month and it's like three weeks away. Wow, you don't have a life," Lucas said and I felt offended.

I rose and started to grab my things but he clasped his big hand around my small wrist, startling me. I flickered my eyes to his face and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry... Look, I didn't mean that in a bad way. I was just teasing you," he said and released my wrist but I could still feel the warmth from his hand.

"Whatever," I said and picked up every book I owned. I cradled them in my arms and stared down at him. "I don't know what you want from me but if it's about what you said in the locker room, please avoid me. I'm not that type."

I said and walked away from the table and away from him. I stopped when I saw one of the cheerleaders staring at me suspiciously but I looked away and continued to walk away.

[|]

I got home and smelt food, which made my tummy rumble. I haven't eaten since today and I needed food which also meant my mom was home. I dropped my bag by the front door and went to the kitchen where I saw my mom, standing in front of the stove, stirring a steaming pot.

"Hi, mom," I said and she turned her head.

"Hey, Jackie. You're home early. Oh, I've been trying to call you but your phone says it's switched off. What happened?"

I froze at her words. How was I going to tell her that I lost my phone? My mom and I shared a fifty-fifty relationship. Today, we were cool tomorrow we acted as if we were enemies at war.

"I... It died. My phone died at school. I'll go plug it in my room. I'm sorry if it made you worried," I said and left the kitchen.

I grabbed my backpack by the door and ran straight to my room. I locked it and rushed to my bed where I sat with worry all over me.

"What am I going to do now? I can't lie for long, especially by tomorrow if mom calls. Did I leave my phone here?" I stood up and searched around the room but found no trace of my phone. "No, no, no. I can't lose my phone. I can't."

An idea popped up in my head so I left my room and took the telephone in the hallway then went back to my room. I quickly dialed my phone number and pressed it to my ear. I felt relief wash over my body when my number began to ring, meaning someone must have turned it on or charged it or something because my stupid phone's battery drains faster on some days.

Whoever held my phone answered the call and I gulped, not knowing who might be at the other end of the call.

"H-hello? Please, this is the owner of the phone calling. Can you tell me where you found it?"

"Of course."

I gasped at the familiar voice.

"Lucas Hamilton?"

A/n: Please, leave a comment and vote.