Thirty-Six

[|]

Since I was going to work on Tuesdays, I was at home, watching TV while Lucas sat on the other couch, using his laptop and headphone. He had multiple documents around him which made me wonder whether he had school work or something else.

We had barely said a word to each other last night after the elevator incident. We only told each other good morning today and that was it. Lucas seemed distant and cold to me which I accepted because I didn't want to get too close to him while I lived here. My instincts told me not to.

My phone started to ring beside me and I paused what I was watching to pick the phone up. I rolled my eyes when I saw it was a call from Andrea, my roommate. I hesitantly accepted the call and pressed my phone to my ear.

"Hello," I said drily.

"Hi! How are you, Jackie?"

"I'm good and you?"

"Same, same. So, where are you staying now?"

"Not too far from school. What about you?"

"I'm at the medical dorm. We still have some unfinished stuff."

I was waiting for her to tell me the reason she called. Andrea would never call for any reason other than—

"How's Lucas? Seen him anywhere?"

There she was. That was the Andrea I knew. I chuckled and glanced at Lucas who was now rubbing his bottom lip with the end of his pencil. Something about it looked attractive, especially with the way his arched eyebrows were furrowed and eyes focused.

"Are you serious about this guy, Andrea?"

"Yes, Jackie. Please, link us up. I want to meet him so bad. Imagine thinking about some guy you haven't seen before," she whined.

I knew she was after his money after seeing his car which made me roll my eyes at how she was acting. I was sure Lucas wasn't the commitment type.

"Fine. I'll talk to him," I said and she squealed, almost deafening me.

"Thank you! Thank you, Jackie. When you tell him about me. Have us meet today! I'll be free today. Pretty, please?"

I threw my head back and groaned silently.

"Okay. I gotta go now, bye." I ended the call and tossed my phone aside.

I looked at Lucas who was now rubbing his neck with his eyes closed. I bit my lip as I started to think of how I could present the idea of Lucas going on a date with Andrea.

When he stopped rubbing his neck, he opened his eyes and met mine. I sat straight and looked at the floor. I nibbled on my lip and hesitantly looked up. He was still looking at me but more at my mouth. I released my lip and cleared my throat then motioned at the headphone he was wearing. He raised a perfect eyebrow before taking it off.

"What?" He asked.

"I have something to tell you," I said and he nodded. "You see, there's this roommate of mine that's been... She's been talking about you for a long time now and she likes you and wants you to hang out with her."