Hundred and Ten

[|]

Jackie's POV

Later that afternoon, I was sitting on the bed, thinking about Maddy and how she has always been fake. I began to think about how my life would have been different if I had not met Maddy that day after walking those dogs for money to buy an outfit for Lucas' party.

Everything would not have been this way. Those boys would not have assaulted me and no one would have been hurt like we all were. Maybe, Lucas and I would have had a better relationship from the beginning. It was crazy how jealousy and hatred would make someone act.

Maddy's actions made everyone feel unsafe and on guard because we did not know what she had done that we were not aware of or what she was about to do. I don't even know the extent she has gone after sending those boys to hurt me.

I looked down at my stomach and placed my hand on the small bump. I rubbed it and a smile formed on my face.

"Some crazy lady is trying to ruin our future, little one. She's trying to go after your father who doesn't even care about her," I said and patted my bump softly.

I glanced to my right and spotted my phone. I eyed the device when a thought crossed my mind. I bit my lip as I weighed the options I had and the outcome of it all. I grabbed my phone and unlocked it then scrolled to my call logs. I stopped at Maddy's phone number, my thumb hovering over the number.

I swallowed and clicked on it. My heart started to pound when the phone rang. I exhaled hard and clenched my hand, nervousness flowing through my body.

I held my breath when Maddy accepted the call.

"Jackie?" Her voice was always the same but it sounded so foreign now that I knew who she was to me.

"I... H-Hey, Maddy-y," I stuttered.

"Are you okay? You sound off," she said in a concerned tone.

"Yeah. I'm good. I was just calling to check up on you. I know the last time we saw each other was with the whole marriage thing. I... I want to apologize for what I did and said that day," I lied and crossed my fingers.

"Oh... No, you don't have to apologize. It's... It's natural for you to react that way. I should be the one to apologize for hiding such from you."

I rubbed my neck as I did not know what else to say to her. She was no longer a friend to me so I didn't have any topic to raise.

"Where are you anyway? I was at Lucas' place yesterday and one of his neighbors said he left or something. Are you in Cali?"

I looked around the room to think of a lie but knowing there was no use and how she could probably find out where I was, I had to tell the truth.

"I'm in Redside. I went to see my mom. I'll be back this week," I replied and she hummed.

"Okay... Oh, I have to go now. I'm at school registering for the new year. I'll talk to you later. Bye."

The call ended and I felt like I was back to breathing normally. There was so much negative energy around the call I had made and it had to do with the realization of who she was. I dropped my phone and placed my hand back on my baby bump.