Hundred and Seven

[|]

Maddy's POV

I walked into my room with my phone on my bank application, prepared to send the pay to Ashton as his friends when I realized something. I stopped in the middle of my room and craned my head to the aside in thought.

"Hold on," I said. "I am being stupid right now. I can't send my cousin such an amount of money from my account. The last time my father did such after one of his guys killed a business opponent, the police suspected the bank transaction and its timeline."

I clicked my tongue against the roof of my mouth and started to tap the back of my phone against my palm. I strolled toward the window in my room and stared outside, still thinking of what to do.

I raised my phone to my face and unlocked it. I scrolled through my bank app and saw Ruth Kingston's account number on the list of my old transactions. An idea crossed my mind and I smirked.

"That's right. Ruth is the perfect person for this. That way, if the police takes this as a suspect, they'd believe she was the one.  Besides, Jackie had told her about the phone and my cousin assaulted Jackie because of the phone. Most importantly, Ruth Hamilton has always had an issue with every girl Lucas sleeps with."

I bit my lip at my genius idea before leaving the room. I rushed to my parent's room and opened the door. I walked in and looked around the room in search of my mother. As I did, I spotted her phone on the vanity and rushed over to it. I picked up the phone and unlocked it with the basic password she always used.

Hurriedly, I went to her bank app and sent up the transaction before putting in Ruth's account details. Once I was certain the information was correct, I sent the money to her and deleted the SMS notification the bank sent.

"Phew," I said and touched my beating chest with the back of my hand. "That was close."

I dropped the phone back on the vanity and started making my way across the room when my phone rang. I smirked when I saw it was Ruth calling.

"That was unexpected," I said and answered the call. "Hello?"

"Uh, Maddy? There's a problem."

I smiled. "What is it?"

"Your mom just sent me $80,000. Can you give me her number so I can tell her about it or you tell her there's been a mistake somewhere."

"Oh, that. You see, my mom wanted to send money to my cousin. So, I think the mistake was from her because my cousin needs the money urgently for a medical treatment. She's not at home right now, so could you help her send the money to my cousin? Preferably by tomorrow?" I asked and crossed my fingers.

The other end of the call was silent for some seconds and it made me nervous. I didn't want my plan to be ruined because of her.

"Fine. Send the account number to me. I'll send the money tomorrow since I've exceeded my limit for today," she said and I beamed.

"Perfect!" I replied in a cheery voice then ended the call. I quickly texted her the bank details, lying to her that she has to send $20,000 to the four account numbers as the other three were his doctors.

After sending the text, I twirled around in joy as I celebrated the relief I was going to get if the police were to look into the matter. Even if they were to track the original transaction, they'd suspect my mother too.