Hundred and Fifteen

[|]

Jackie's POV

I walked further into the living room and crossed my arms, waiting to hear what Maddy had to say. Her mouth was moving but no words came out as her eyes went from Ruth to me.

"By the way, what are you doing here?" I asked and she tensed up.

"I... I... What are y-you doing here?" She asked back and I rolled my eyes.

"I came here to get something I left behind," I lied, knowing I had been in Jared's place, waiting for the perfect time to come out. I had heard everything she said about me to Lucas and if I said I was surprised, I would be lying.

Maddy could not even wait until maybe I was out of the picture before she went ahead to brainwash Lucas. Like always, if I had not known the truth, I would have reacted differently.

Maddy smiled, which did not reach her eyes. She wiped her hands on her denim pants and pointed at Ruth.

"Y-you... Uh, Ruth. What are you doing here?" She asked.

"My brother stays here," Ruth retorted.

Maddy nodded. "Yeah, I know but aren't you the one who is responsible for everything that has happened?"

"That's not what Ruth told me," I said and she froze with her eyes wide.

"What do you mean?" Maddy asked and tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear.

I shrugged. "Remember I told you that Ruth has been found? Well, I met her outside and confronted her. Remember that I said that she had been kidnapped all this time? She has injuries on her body to show for it. She revealed she was forced to do things which she never wanted."

"She could be lying! Why would you easily believe her? She is lying. Have you forgotten what she did?!" Maddy asked at the top of her voice then made her way to me. She stopped in front of me and eyed Ruth coldly before looking at me.

"Is there any proof of what you're saying?" I asked and Maddy blinked. "Right now, anything anyone has to say needs proof to back it up. A lot has been happening and I simply can't believe everything just like that."

"What is wrong with you? This girl here goes missing and comes back claiming she was kidnapped and you believe her?" Maddy asked. "She is trying to separate the both of you and you stand here telling me you believe her?"

"You know I am standing here, right?" Ruth asked and Maddy rushed to her. She grabbed her hand and I pulled her close.

"Shut up! I know what you're doing! All those letters, everything you've been doing. They may have believed everything you said to them but I won't believe you."

Ruth yanked her hand out of her hand and shoved her away.

"I was kidnapped! I was beaten and forced to do things against my will! All because of something I knew nothing about!" Ruth yelled. "I was able to escape and you say to my face that I want to come between the both of them?! Why would I separate my brother and her? I swear to God, I will find those behind this and make them pay!"

I met Lucas' eyes and he smirked at me. I looked away and looked at Ruth, hoping she wouldn't reveal anything to Maddy too quick.