Forty-Five

[|]

I didn't forget about Lucas' birthday or think of what to get him as a present. But knowing how rich he was, I was sure any gifts he received today would be too expensive and high above my wallet to impress him.

"I'm just going to get him whatever I can and not embarrass myself in the process," I said as I folded the rest of my clothes into my luggage. I had just a few minutes to leave Lucas' house for Jared's before Andrea came over.

She had called Lucas and told him that she would be arriving in an hour and my time was up. It was annoying that I had to drag my things next door but I had to bear the consequences of my lies.

"Done," I said as I placed the last folded clothe in the luggage. I immediately zipped it and dragged my luggage out of the room.

I saw Lucas downstairs on his laptop with a lot of scattered papers around him. I always wondered why he was still doing such when we weren't in school sessions. I looked away from him and went downstairs.

"Oh, you're already packed?" He asked as he rose to his feet. Lucas approached me and tried to take the luggage from my hand but I refused and stumbled back only to trip over my luggage.

I was ready to fall but a strong arm around my waist pulled me back into a standing position. I looked up at Lucas and down at his broad chest when I saw that my palm was on it. I could feel his heartbeat and how warm he was underneath his white v-neck shirt. I swallowed and locked eyes with him.

We were so close that I could feel his breath on my face. I snapped back to my senses when I felt his hand make shapes under my shirt. I felt a hot tingle down below and moved back.

"You have to be careful," he said and I nodded. "Give it, I'll take it to Jared's house."

I rolled the luggage around my body and handed it to him. Our fingers brushed and I felt a flutter inside of me at the few seconds' touch. When I looked up, he was staring at me softly and blinked right after before leaving the house.

I sighed and followed suit. Jared's house was two doors away and I was glad he lived close by because I was not ready to move back and forth...Andrea can go to hell.

Before I reached the door, Jared opened it, smiling wide. He took my luggage from Lucas and I approach them.

"Welcome to my humble abode," Jared said and motioned for me to walk in.

"Why thank you, young lad," I mimicked and stepped into the house, holding my imaginary dress.

I heard laughter coming from them behind me as I stepped into the studio apartment similar to ours. The only difference was the theme. Jared had guitars hung on the walls and other musical instruments in different corners of the living room.

"Make yourself comfortable," Jared said and walked past me.

"I will," I said and walked into the kitchen.

Jared and I had become close over the weeks and he was a fun person to be around with. On my free days, we would spend the day outside or in Lucas' place watching movies and talking about the trending news.

I opened his fridge and saw varieties of foods, snacks, and vegetables. I spotted a tub of ice cream and took it then closed the fridge. My phone rang in my back pocket and I fished it out but scoffed when I saw it was Andrea. I wanted to not answer her calls but I had to.