Hundred and Sixteen

[|]

"There's no need to pretend anymore," I said to Maddy who bowed her head.

I took a step forward. I saw the way she clenched her hands tight and how her shoulders went up and down. It was time for her to give up. We had everything to send her to jail. Ashton's testament, Ruth's kidnapping case, and the faces of those men who held her captive.

"Enough of everything. You can no longer fool any of us," I said and she raised her head.

Maddy had a blank look on her face as she stared at me. I couldn't tell what she was thinking and it was frustrating because I wanted her to react.

"Is that it?" She asked, deadpanned. "Are you trying to play a prank on me or something?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at her question. I didn't know if she was asking because she was playing dumb or revealing herself to me.

"Enough of the act," Lucas said, coming to a stop beside me. "You've been exposed and there is no need to pretend anymore. We know everything you've done."

Maddy crossed her arms and slowly, a smirk appeared on her lips. She raised an eyebrow and chuckled then uncrossed her arms. She began to clap her hands.

"It took every one of you a year to figure it all out and I was getting tired. Bravo, everyone. Bravo. Now, do you want a medal?" She asked and a frown masked her face.

"I can't believe you would do this to me. What did I ever do?" I asked in a shaky voice and she rolled her eyes.

"Don't play stupid. If you're able to find the truth about me, you should know why I did this," Maddy said.

"Well, it's over. Turn yourself in and we won't have to hurt you," Lucas said in a hard tone.

"Not unless you catch me first," Maddy said and I got confused until she turned around and ran away so fast that we didn't expect it to happen.

I dashed forward while Ruth tried to block her path but Maddy pushed her away, making her fall to the ground with a groan. I ran past Ruth when Lucas stayed with her.

"Stop!" I yelled as Maddy ran into the corner of the building.

I cornered the building just as she did and cursed under my breath when she was already close to her car. I increased my speed but I was too late as she boarded her car and reversed, crashing into a car. She sped off, burning the rubber of her tire. I staggered to a stop and leaned over my knees. I panted so fast, my heart burning from the race I had just had.

I stared at her car getting smaller in the distance as she drove off. I stood straight when Lucas ran to me, breathing hard.

"Where is she?"

"She's gone," I answered through heavy breathing.

"Fuck! We can't let her go far!" Lucas yelled.

"She was just too fast," I said and placed a hand on my stomach when it ached a bit.

"Are you okay? You exhausted yourself," Lucas said in worry and held my shoulder.

"I'm fine. It might just be stomach cramps from the running," I said and leaned onto his shoulder, while my eyes were still glued on the road ahead. "We need to keep an eye on Maddy. I don't know where she might go but we need to have her on our radar."