Hundred and Two

[|]

Lucas' POV

The sound of the voice of my sister angered me. Even though I had not expected her to call me, it angered me at the audacity she had after everything she has put me through. I lost the love and trust Jackie had for me because of her and yet she had the mind to call me? It was unbelievable to me.

"Is that Ruth?" Jackie whispered.

I nodded in response and waited to hear Ruth's response.

"L-Lucas?" Ruth said in a low voice. "Where are you?"

"Why do you want to know? In fact, shouldn't you already know where I am?" I asked, feeling more pissed off at the fact that she still pretended.

"What are you talking a-about?" She stuttered, breathing heavily.

"Look, I don't have the time to pretend with you so come off it," I growled out and she gasped.

"Lucas, please. Listen to me. You have to come to get me. I'm close to the border of Redside... I-I was kidnapped. Please, I'm being chased after by some people and I had to borrow this phone to call you. Lucas, you gotta help me. I'm in a store close to the border."

I rolled my eyes at her acting. I never knew my sister had an Oscar-worthy acting talent. I didn't believe a word she said. For all I know, she could be trying to lure me into her trap. I couldn't trust her.

Without another word, I ended the call and put my phone in my pocket.

"What did she say?" Jackie asked, standing closer to me.

"Ruth said she was kidnapped and that some people were after her. She's at the border of town and wants me to come to get her. I don't trust her," I replied and watched Jackie begin to think.

"That's weird," Jackie said. "Why would she call you and say such? I would have been expecting her to call you about something else but a kidnap? I don't know, Lucas. She might be planning something."

I ran my fingers through my hair and exhaled. I was confused about everything right now. On one hand, I wanted to confront Ruth but on the other, I needed to act smarter about this issue by not acting on impulse. Then again, I needed answers.

"Jackie, I need you to call Jared. Tell him to come to pick you up." I faced the street and looked out for a taxi.

"Where are you going?" Jackie rushed to my side.

"I am going to meet her," I replied and she grabbed my arm.

"Are you crazy? You don't know what she's planning and you want to jump the gun? No, you're not going anywhere," she said in a soft voice. I could sense the fear and worry in her voice and I was touched.

"I have to confront her and I believe this is the time for me to do so," I retorted and pulled my arm out of her grip when I saw a taxi driving toward us.

"Then I'm coming with you," she said in a stiff tone.

"No, you're—"

"Save it," Jackie cut me off with a dark look.

I gulped and waved to the taxi when it got close. Once the car stopped before us, I opened the back door for her, and she boarded it before I followed suit.