Seventy-Nine

[|]

The moment I noticed the sky turn dark blue with the sound of thunder rumbling in the sky, I made eye contact with my mom, whose eyes were wide.

"I wasn't expecting it to rain," I said and stood up from the park bench.

"Do you have an umbrella with you?" My mom asked and I shook my head. "How are you going to get home?"

"I'll order a ride home, mom. Don't worry. You should probably start heading back to your hotel before it starts to rain," I said, and as if on cue, heavy rain drops fell onto us.

I squealed at the cold drops wetting my clothes. I lifted my jacket and used it to cover my head then ran with my mother to a tree. We stood under it, alongside two other people.

"This is such an unexpected rain," my mom said, wrapping her arms around her body.

I shuddered when a wave of cold passed through my body, causing painful goosebumps to rise on my skin. A gust of wind blew and the cold inside of me doubled, making my limbs start to shake.

"You're shaking."

I turned my head in the direction of where my mother stood and watched her take off her jacket. She placed it on me and I felt a small warmth.

"You are always so sensitive to cold. I hope you don't get sick," my mom said, shifting my hair away from my face.

I felt my phone vibrating inside my bag but the rain was just too much for me to start searching through my bag. When the rain increased, the tree branches started to dance aggressively, causing heavy drops of water to land on us.

"Come on! There's a taxi!"

I looked in the direction she was pointing and saw a taxi parked at the entrance of the park. We exchanged a look before running toward the entrance. As soon as we got to the taxi, we were already soaked and I was shivering to the bones, teeth clattering too.

"Get in," mom said and opens the back door for me.

I boarded the car and sighed at the warmth of it. I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion when I realized that she was not getting in, instead, she was handing some money to the driver and telling him to take me to whatever address I tell him.

"Mom? Aren't you coming in? It's raining so heavily.

"No, dear. Go ahead. I live in the opposite direction and I don't want you staying too long outside with your wet clothes. Go home, change and take a hot shower. Eat something hot too!" She said over the loud rainfall.

The driver started the car's engine and drove away. I pressed my head against the window and waved at my mom. I looked back and watched her run across the street with her hands over her head. I sighed and relaxed on the seat. I was feeling so cold that my clothes felt so uncomfortable on my skin.

A smile appeared on my face when I remembered the fun I had with mom. We had a lot of ice cream and went to eat at a fast-food restaurant before we came back to the park to talk more. I had told her everything I had gone through in college and she told me how proud she was of me for being strong and independent. I had intentionally left Lucas being my boyfriend and only told her I was staying with an old school friend.