Hundred and Twelve

[|]

As soon as I walked into Lucas' apartment, I felt strange. The atmosphere of the apartment was so different to me because of the last thing that happened before I left for Redside. I had not been expecting that I would come back to this place after everything that had happened. But now that the truth was out, there was no point in harboring negative emotions or energies that would weaken my mental state.

I made my way to the kitchen and ran my fingers over the smooth surface of the counter. I started to remember the times we ate here and cooked food together. It brought a smile to my face and I wanted more memories with him.

I heard the door closing behind me and I turned around. Lucas was dragging my luggage and his duffle bag toward the stairs. I smiled at him when he glanced my way. When he climbed the stairs, my phone rang in my purse and I quickly took it out. I frowned when I saw it was a call from Maddy.

I hesitated for a few seconds before accepting her call request. I rolled my eyes and placed the phone against my ear.

"Hey," I said in a dry tone.

"Hey, Jackie. Are you still in Redside or you're back?" She asked.

"Why'd you ask?" I could not help but be suspicious. It was Maddy after all; a modern-day witch.

"Nothing. I just wanted to know if I could come to visit you and keep you company as your best friend and all."

I wanted to laugh so bad at her choice of words but pressed my lips together to stop myself.

"I'm back. Since school is resuming next month for registration and some classes, I was thinking I prepare myself. Besides, I need to start looking for a new residence building on-campus that I'll be staying in," I replied and leaned on the counter.

"That's true. Oh, I'm planning on renting an apartment close to our school. I was wondering if you could move in with me after the whole break-up thing."

If I had not known the type of person Maddy was, I would have thought she meant well to me as a friend but I knew she had a motive behind her wanting me to move in.

"Nah, don't worry. I want to stay on-campus for some projects. And besides, you'll be getting married to Lucas soon. What's the point of us living together?" I asked in a sly tone and watched as Lucas came downstairs with a knowing look on his face.

"Oh... That's true. Look, Jackie. I'm not interested in this marriage. I'll try to talk my parents out of this, I promise," she said in a concerned tone that had me grimacing.

"Whatever," I said, trying to push the topic aside.

"Say, what if we meet up now? I'm bored and would like it if we meet up at a café or something."

I looked at Lucas who was going through his phone and gulped. Maddy doesn't know that we were aware of the truth and I am sure she won't try anything dangerous but then again, I can't tell if she is pretending to not know that we know everything about her. She was that cunning.

"Sure," I said and she squealed.

"Great. I'll come to pick you up. You're at a hotel, right?"

"No! I mean... I'll meet you at the café. Just let me know where."

"Okay. Bye."