the first chapter, rewritten

happy two years of p & i :) here's a little something.

Sometimes Y/n Malfoy feels like she's invisible. She doesn't have much friends, no. Dean was the only one until..

Well, that's a story for another time.

At home, she's invisible, at school, she's alone. Her parents always favoured Draco. He's the son that they wanted. He's perfect in their eyes, how can he ever do anything wrong, she wonders. She is just the twin that came along, the one they did not want.

Her father is the most tough on her. It hasn't always been this way. He was excited when she and Draco were going to attend Hogwarts. He was proud, he said. All of that faded away when Y/n got sorted into Gryffindor. It was like she had killed someone. Dinners were quiet, he didn't want to look at her, like she was some sort of disease. He did not want anything to do with her. Two years later, things are still the same.

She doesn't really have her brother either. Seeing the way father treats her, he retreated from being in her life altogether. He doesn't want to disappoint father or make him angry by still being all buddy buddy with his sister.

She finds herself in her dorm room, alone as always. Sometimes Hermione Granger would try to strike a conversation with her. She is kind, Y/n appreciates her. But she is always out and about with Ron Weasley and Harry Potter, she doesn't think they like her very much. Which makes the probability of her and Hermione being friends relatively low.

Suddenly, she goes over to her desk. She's not even thinking when she grabs her quill, she just does it. She dips it in ink, and writes on a piece of paper.

Dear Harry Potter,

I'm sorry of how my brother has been treating you and your friends.

From Y/n Malfoy.

She doesn't know why she's doing this, she really doesn't. She goes to Harry Potter's mail locker in the common room, and she places her letter inside.

Y/n didn't think she'd get a reply, so she was surprised to see a letter in her locker. She looks at Harry, who is sitting at the center of the common room by the fireplace with his friends. He catches her gaze, and smiles. Her face is blank, she doesn't really know how to respond, so she runs up to her dorm, heart beating loudly.

She eagerly jumps to her bed and hides under the covers to read his letter. She doesn't even know why she's so secretive or why she feels so protective of his letter, afraid of even the smallest rip.

She reads it, smiling giddily to herself.

Dear Y/n Malfoy,

I appreciate your apology. I really do. I've tried to talk to you in the common room a fair amount of times these last 2 years, but i haven't got a reaction from you.

You just walk away everytime i try to have a conversation with you.

May i ask two things?

Why do you always avoid me?

And,

Why now? Why are you trying to reach out now?

Please write back.

From,
Harry Potter.

Y/n sighs as she places the letter carefully on her nightstand. She lays there, on her bed, looking up at the ceiling. She can only think of him, and his words imprinted in her mind.

She spends the night sleepless as she tries to think of how to reply. She keeps scribbling and tossing away paper, she keeps scratching her head trying to find words, and all she can come up with is,

Dear Harry Potter,

I'm writing to you because i feel bad, and somewhat guilty for my brother's behaviour.

I always avoid you because my father would not like it if i befriend you.

But now, i don't really care.

Since i got sorted into gryffindor in first year, my father dearest has not been very nice to me.

He rambled about how i wasn't a real Malfoy, that i didn't get sorted into Slytherin.

He always boasts about my twat of a brother. Him being the perfect son he always wanted.

My mum, however, loves me for who i am. No matter what. She's a brilliant woman.

I don't care about what my father will say or do when he finds out i've been writing to you, Potter.

He doesn't care about my feelings, why should i care about his?

Sorry,

Sorry i've ignored you. I know you were only being nice.

I would like to apologize to Granger and the Weasleys Please send them my deepest sorries.

From,
Y/n Malfoy.

With a deep breath, she sends it.