not a date

—

"Ryder!" A voice shouted, "Hey, Ryder!"

The mentioned girl turns, sighing softly before slowing down her pace so the person can catch up.

"Hi, Austin."

"Hey." He smiles, "Um- I wanted to ask you something."

"Okay?" She said, waiting for him to speak.

"It's about the party that everyone's talking about. Well- not really everyone, just mostly people in our grade. Then again, the freshman's and seniors are also talking about it—" He shakes his head, getting back on track, "Anyways, I wanted to know if you'd go with me?"

Ryder could hear the nervousness in his voice but thought it'd be best if she didn't mention it.

"The last thing i want to do is go to a Lydia Martin back to school party."

"No, yeah- of course. I get it, completely understandable." He stammers out, his happy expression falling from his face.

He held the door open for her as they walked out, Ryder thinking over her words before glancing over at him.

"I'll go for an hour." His eyes light up, "Only an hour."

"Only an hour, got it."

"And it's not a date." She squints at him.

His heartbeat speeds up at the word, "Definitely not a date."

The girl smiles softly at him, the two walk in silence to the field. Her eyes moving between people before deciding that she wanted to avoid Lydia today. She gestures to the lower bleachers, Austin getting her hint and sitting down.

The two watch as Stiles Stilinski frantically follows Scott, the buzzcut boy saying something that looked to be important.

The could fairly hear Scott brushing off his words.

"Stiles, I gotta go."

"Wait, no! Scott! You're not gonna believe what the animal was! It was a wolf." His words trail off.

Ryder frowns, Austin glancing over at her.

"I didn't there were any wolves in California."

She shakes her slightly, "There aren't."

Her eyes meet Stiles' the boy swallowing before averting his eyes. He can feel her stare on his back as he moves to sit on the benches. He can't help but fidget, hoping that she didn't catch on to what was said.