new werewolf

—

Romona's head snapped up from her book and in the direction of the stairs at the sound of Austin's rapid heart beat. She knew the difference between fear and admiration, and while she knew how much Austin adored her daughter, his heartbeat showed nothing but fear.

"Mom?" Josie frowned, "What's wrong?"

The woman waves her hand in Josie's direction, wanting the girl to stay silent.

"Quiet, Josephine."

Aaron doesn't seem to pick up on her need for the room to be quiet, "Honey?"

"Shush." Her unusually harsh tone shocked the man, but he didn't dare say anything.

Josie nudged her fathers leg, the man lifting his shoulders before they dropped in uncertainty, the pair were both equally confused on what was happening.

"Do not move an inch."

Romona's words were clear as day, however, she didn't follow her own instructions as she found herself creeping up the stairs.

•••

"Ry..." Austin started, "Don't freak out."

As her hand was still on his chest, she could feel the pounding of his heart, she could only furrow her brows, wondering why he worried about her, "It seems like you're the one freaking out. Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine." His jaw ticked, a clear indication that he wasn't telling the truth. He was afraid that Ryder caught the action, as she was one of the few people that knew his tell.

"Don't lie to me." She grew frustrated, snatching her hand away from him and out of his grasp, wanting to turn to the mirror, only for Austin to block her way.

"Austin."

"Ryder, please." He practically begged, "Let's just go downstairs."

"Is it my hair? I thought it looked good?!"

"Your hair looks beautiful. But we need to go downstairs." He said, his breathing growing heavy with nervousness as he watched her eyes flash a golden yellow, "Let's go find your mom."

"Ryder."

"Yeah, mom?" Her attention was finally elsewhere, as her body turned for be found of her mothers voice, he pushed her body forward, turning off the bathroom light.

"Ryder, honey." Romona smiled, the sight easing the girls nerves.

"Did he ruin my hair—?"

"Ryder."

"What?" She groaned, lifting her hand to grip the follicles  on her head.

She finds herself letting out a shocked scream when she caught her nails no longer being finger nails, but claws.

She couldn't even speak before she's suddenly being shoved into a guest bedroom by her mom.

•••

Her usual clean nails were replaced by what she would describe as dog claws.

Is this what McCall went through everyday? Cause if so, she hated it. She wouldn't do it, she couldn't do it.

Her fists banged against the wooden door as she began to grow unreasonably angry. She couldn't understand why.

She felt more freaked out if anything, but her actions only showed that she wanted to hurt someone.

She was both embarrassed and disgusted by the unexpected growl that left her lips.

•••

"Ryder, you need to calm down, sweetheart!" Romona shouted from the other side of the door, her back was pressed against the door.

She was completely ignoring Austin's look of panic, along with the way Aaron had told Josie to lock herself in her bedroom, hiding her away from her sister.

"What's happening? Is she okay? What can I do?"

The questions were spewing out of Austin's mouth like water out of a broken faucet.

"You can calm down." Aaron suggested, "If she can hear your heartbeat and you're as freaked out as she is, then you'll only make things worse for her. We don't want that, okay?"

"I'm calm." He told them, though his expression said otherwise.

Romona held a thoughtful expression, she knew that her idea was risky, she would definitely feel bad if something bad were to happened.

But, much like her daughter, Romona's instinct were never wrong.

So, with a mindful smack to her own hand, she's grasping Austin's wrist and shoving him into the room with a wolfed out Ryder.

•••

Both startled and betrayed, Austin kept his back against the door, his eyes wandering around the room. It didn't take long for him to lock eyes on Ryder, the girls pained whimpers immediately caught his attention.

He took deep breaths, reminding himself that she wouldn't calm down if he was as freaked out as she was. Though it was a little hard for him to stay calm knowing he was locked in a room with his crush who just turned into a werewolf right before his eyes.

"Ry—" He cut himself off, clearing his throat to sound more confident, "Ryder."

The girl didn't respond, he expected that.

His hands were held out in front of him as he stalked forward.

"Stop it." He heard her whisper.

"Ry... you're going to be okay." He could hear the bedroom door creak open, ignoring the sound and the girls words, continuing to get closer.

"Everything is fine. I promise you." He kneeled down next to her, staring deeply into her yellow eyes, "I wouldn't lie to you, Ryder, you know that."

"It's hurts." There was slight lisp to her words, seeing as her usual straight row of teeth were not replaced with large canines.

"I can imagine." He tries to laugh, only for the sound to clearly be forced, "But we'll figure it out. We'll all help you."

"I-"

She grunted in pain, the sound breaking Austin's heart, he watched her eyes travel to the people behind him.

"We will be there for you, Ryder." Romona spoke softly, less hesitant to walk towards her daughter.

Grabbing her hand, she held the jewelry covered hand to her chest. The mother and daughter stared at each other, one in pain and the other in sympathy.

Red met yellow as Romona shined her alpha eyes at Ryder, in both a warning and as a reminder that she wasn't the only one.

"You are going to be okay." The woman started, "I have been where you are now, I understand why you are scared, why you are nervous. What you are, it is scary, but that does not make you a monster, Ryder."

"Mom."

Ryder stared deeply into her mothers eyes, their eyes dimming in unison, back to their usual brown color.

"You are a werewolf."