missing heather

—

Austin sat in Econ, behind Stiles, feet up on the back of his chair while he listened to his moms boyfriend, known to others as Coach Finstock, speak. His mood had brightened since his conversation with Ryder before school started. He had walked the girl to class, kissing her sweetly before he rushed off to his class.

The only good thing that came from his mom dating the lacrosse Coach, aside from seeing her happy, was that he got let off with a warning for being slightly late.

"The stock market is based on two principles. What are they?" The man asked, looking around, brushing off Scott as he raised his hand, "Yes, McCall, you can go to the bathroom. Anybody else?"

Scott's cheeks grew red, "Uh, no, coach, I know the answer."

Finstock began laughing—Austin would describe it more so as cackling— so hard that the teen had to cover his mouth so his own smile wasn't obvious.

Coach soon realized that no one else was laughing along and his playful mood fell, "Oh, you're serious."

"Yes. Risk and reward."

"Wow! Who are you? And what have you done to McCall? Don't answer that. I like you better. I like you better." Coach praised, "Does anybody have a quarter? A quarter."

"Yep." Stiles raised a hand, quickly digging in his pocket for the coin.

Austin's eyes widen as a condom flew out of his friends pocket, landing perfectly in the middle of the floor. What made it even funnier in his eyes was the fact that the condom was completely sealed shut. His mind traveled back to the party from the night before, So he left for no reason, the teen thought to himself.

The room held an awkward silence for a minute, no one truly knowing what to say as Stiles Stilinski was probably the least likely person they'd expected to have an extra large condom in his pocket.

"Stilinski, I think you, uh... You dropped this. And congratulations." Coach placed the closed packet back on his desk, clearing his throat while simultaneously avoiding eye contact with the blue eyed teen behind Stiles.

"Risk and reward. Put the quarter in the mug, win the reward. Okay, watch coach." He tossed the quarter into the mug, reveling in the claps he got from his students, "That's how you do it. Okay. Danny. Risk, reward."

Danny narrowed his eyes, "What's the reward?"

"You don't have to take the pop quiz tomorrow."

"Bobby— Uh, Coach, it's not a pop quiz if you tell us about it." Austin cut in.

Coach shook his head, "Austin, you know, I really expect more from you at this point. Really." He walked away from Danny, "McCall. Risk, reward. The risk: If you don't put that quarter in the mug, you have to take the pop... the... the quiz. And... and you have to write an essay. Risk, more work. Reward... No work at all. Or choose not to play."

Scott flipped the coin between his fingers, "But isn't this just chance?"

"No. You know your abilities, your coordination, your focus, past experience... all factors affecting the outcome. So what's it gonna be, McCall? More work, no work, or choose not to play?"

Scott thought over the possibilities, ultimately deciding to shake his head and place the quarter back on the desk, sliding it back to his teacher, "No play."

"Okay. Who's next? Who wants the quarter?"

Stiles turned around to face Austin, "Watch this."

The George teen hummed uninterestedly, watching the Stilinski tap the desk rapidly in excitement,

"There ya go! There's a gamblin' man! Come on! Step up, step up." Coach claps, "All right, Stilinski."

The door suddenly opens, the Sheriff and a couple of other deputies standing there, "Stiles."

"Yeah, coach, I got it."

"Stiles."

The teen looks up at the stern sound of this fathers voice, immediately sensing the tension that filled the air at his presence.

Austin looked at Scott in confusion, watching the as the McCall forced his ears to listen in on the conversation going on outside.

Scott leaned over, his words sending chills down Austin's spine,

"Heather's missing."

•••

Ryder stood by her locker, reading the note that sat there, wondering when Austin had found the time to leave school to go buy her flowers. She sucked air into her cheeks, slowly blowing out as she struggled to put together when he could have left. They had the same free period, so it couldn't have been then.

Deciding to, for once, brush it off, she walked into the library in search for a book that she needed for history, catching the conversation being had between Lydia and Allison from the table they sat at,

"I want one."

Allison glanced at the strawberry blonde, "Which one?"

"Probably the straight one." The girl couldn't stop herself from responding at the same time Lydia said,

"The straight one, obviously."

Allison sent a smile to Ryder, the Miller taking this as an invitation to walk up to her. Ryder squatted down by Allison, hand on the back of her chair to keep her from falling over,

"Did you ever think that maybe it wasn't a symbol and instead maybe..." Ryder trailed off, pointing to the empty coffee cup that sat next to Allison's computer.

Allison let out a soft gasp in realization, "A logo." The Argent finished.

•••

"So you think they kidnapped Heather to turn her?" Austin asked, keeping his tone soft as to not upset the Stilinski more than he already was.

Stiles looked down glumly, "Derek says it's easier to turn teenagers."

Scott shook his head, "But what would a pack of alphas need with a beta?"

"Scott, I don't know. I don't care. All right? This girl... Our moms were best friends before mine died, all right? We used to take frickin' bubble baths together when we were three. I gotta find her."

"Then we need Isaac to remember."

"How? Peter and Derek couldn't do it. You know any other werewolves with a better trick?"

"Ramona." Austin tilted his head.

Scott sighs, "We don't know if she'll be up to it, but we can ask. Call Ryder?"

Austin nodded his head, walking ahead of the two to call his girlfriend.

Scott nodded in determination, "And if not a werewolf, then someone who knows a lot about 'em."