derek's fault

"All right, the thing was pretty slick looking. Um, skin was dark. Kind of patterned. Uh, I think I actually saw scales. Is that enough? Okay, because I've somebody I really need to talk to - Hrr. Ry? Help me out?"

Austin couldn't help but cringe at the nickname he used. It left an unsettling feeling in his stomach, especially with how the girl barely reacted, simply raising a brow, silently letting him know that he could explain on his own.

"All right, fine, eyes. Eyes are, um, yellowish. And slitted. Um, has a lot of teeth. Oh. And it's got a tail, too."

Stiles had been rambling for a few minutes now, only pausing to start right back up again after Derek made a face indicating that he didn't give enough information. Austin was growing tired and worried that the longer the stood here, the more likely they were to get caught.

"What is that smell?" Ryder scrunched up her face, turning her head into Austin's chest as the scent grew stronger. He placed a gentle hand on the back of her head, glancing around in confusion.

"Are we good? What? Wait, have you seen it? You have this look on your faces like you know exactly what I am talking about." Austin's head snapped away from the water at Stiles' words.

Derek saw it and didn't say anything?

"Run!"

Stiles began to panic, Austin, however, wasted no time in pulling Ryder away from the creature. Which didn't take much as she was already on the other side of the pool before he could think.

"Derek, your neck! Hey, come on. Where is it? Can you see it?"

"I can smell it. Please hurry." Derek groaned, his body limp as his breathing grew heavy, "Call Scott! Stiles, ah—"

"Where did it go? Do you see it?" Stiles' voice was frantic as he looked around, for both the lizard and hopefully so help.

"No." The two bobbed up and down into the water as Stiles struggled to keep both of them up.

"Okay, maybe it took off." He was proved wrong by the sound of a shout and the slashing of water.

"You stupid bitch!"

"Maybe not."

Derek tried to turn his head in Ryder's direction at her words, coming up short as he couldn't move much. All he could see was Austin's back as he easily held himself and the blonde girl up, Ryder's legs wrapped tightly around his waist as he swam them towards Derek and Stiles.

The Hale man was well aware of the teens fear of large amounts of water. He had known since she was a kid and had refused to get in the pool at, Cora's fifth birthday pool party.

•••

"Ryder, you gotta kick your feet."

"Absolutely not."

It wasn't that he thought the girl was heavy, cause she actually ridiculously light for her age, and being in the water only made her even lighter. It was the fact that he was growing tired from being in the water. His body was drained.

"We can swap." Stiles suggested, pursing his lips to keep the water from entering his mouth.

"Yeah, cause swap out the lighter person for the heavier one." Austin scoffed sassily. "Make it make sense."

"You get me out of here before I drown." Derek interrupted.

"You wouldn't let me drown, right?" Ryder whispered to Austin. The teen almost jerked his head back in offense,