alarming texts

—

"Hey, Ryder!" Austin called, waving the girl over, "Come on."

She reluctantly listened, looking behind her as they followed behind Stiles.

"What's wrong?" He looked down at her,

"Nothing, uh...What's this girls name again?"

Austin scrunched up his brows, "Malia."

"Hm."

"Ryder, are you sure you're okay? We can leave if you want to."

"No, it's fine. It just—pretty name."

Stiles flashed his light towards a hut, "I think I found something."

"So did I." Scott commented.

"It's a coyote den."

Scott corrected him, "Werecoyote."

"You see this?" Stiles picked up a small shirt, showing it to Austin, "This is Malia's. Remember, it's the same one she was wearing in the photo."

"We shouldn't be in here." Ryder kept her distance, her eyes searching the woods around them.

Stiles looked at her in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"Well, she not going to come back now." Austin said.

"We just invaded her home. Our scent's going to be everywhere." Scott finished.

"I could've told you that." Ryder spoke from her spot outside the den, her hand gripping Austin's sleeve to keep him from following after them.

Had it been anyone else, she would have let them smother their scent in Malia's home and risk the girl finding them and ending their lives. But this was Austin.

He wasn't just 'anyone else'.

"If she's not going to come back here, where's she going to go?"

"Somewhere you aren't."

"I don't know." Scott shrugged.

"Can you track her now? You think you got her scent?"

"Maybe. But I'm better at this when I'm a full wolf. And I'm still worried that if I do it, I won't be able to turn back." The McCall looked down.

Stiles huffed, "And Ryder's more likely to go rogue if she turns. We're out of luck."

"Excuse you." The girl scoffed, looking offended by his words.

"The door's still open."

"If I can't get to Derek, we're gonna have to find someone else to help."

Austin looked thoughtful, "Isn't this technically still a crime scene? I think it might be a little out of your boss's league..."