protecting lydia

Austin had his back resting against the lockers, Ryder facing him as she laid her head on his chest.

The two had been silent for a few seconds, Austin processing the words that came out of her mouth.

She had just explained to him how she was practically being forced to help Scott and Stiles stop Derek from hurting whoever the kanima may be.

She had also told him that she had an idea on who it was. He was the only person that hadn't interrupted her when she explained why and how she thought the kanima was Jackson Whittemore.

Austin nodded along to what she said, agreeing for the most part, but he didn't cut her off like the others did. He listens carefully and quietly, allowing her to get it all out of her system, as she'd been keeping it in for the last couple of days.

Austin, himself, had his suspicions.

He could understand why it was such a big deal that the kanima could be Lydia, as the girl did get bit but has yet to turn into anything. But he could also understand why Ryder was so adamant on her answer being Jackson.

"Do you smell that?"

"I can't smell what you can, Ry." Austin reminds the girl, smiling at her wide eyes of realization.

She looks around frantically, her eyes falling on Stiles and Scott. She wanted to warn the two but knew it was a long shot that they would actually listen to her. So, with a sigh, she figured it would be best for them to figure it out on their own.

She looked up at Austin, barely noticing that his eyes didn't leave her once.

"Lahey's back."

•••

Ryder and Austin were barely given the chance to take a seat before Stiles was running up to them in a panicked state.

"Isaac's back."

"We know." Austin nodded, allowing Ryder to sit down before he did the same.

"We— you know?" He stammered, "How long have you known?"

"Since this morning." Ryder confirmed, "I probably would have told you if you and McCall didn't make a habit of ignoring everything I say."

Stiles suddenly looked offended, "We don't do that."

"Yeah, you do. It's actually really disrespectful and I would appreciate it if you guys stopped." Austin defended the girl.

Ryder pursed her lips at Stiles' fallen expression.

"Okay, uhm— sorry about that. But we need your help."

"When don't you?"

"Derek sent Erica and Isaac to test Lydia." Stiles whispered, "They think she's the kanima."

"But Ry said that Jackson's the kanima." The George teen look at him in confusion.

"What? N-no, they tested Jackson last night, it didn't work."

"Are you guys seriously this dense?" Ryder scoffed, "You're well aware that the supernatural is completely different from the real world, aren't you? Just because a snake can't be affected by its own venom, doesn't mean it's the same way for a kanima."

"That's not the point." The Stilinski brushed off the way her hands rose and slammed down to the desk in annoyance.

Once again, they were willingly choosing to ignore her warnings. There wasn't much she do except watch them later and let them realize how dumb they all looked.