kisses turned tragedies

—

Despite how people saw her, the way she carried herself, the tattoos on her arms, and the piercings she had, Ryder Miller could not look more innocent if she tried.

As she stared into the eyes that matched her dress, oh so perfectly, her pupils only dilated the longer she stared.

She could see his head lean down, not having to go too far since she was only a few inches shorter than him.

He looked at her with so much admiration in his eyes. He couldn't help it.

She watched as his own pupils flood the blue part of his eyes that she adored staring at so much.

Her breath hitched at the feeling of his hand moving to the back of her neck, holding her in place, careful not to hit her dangling earrings.

Her own hands seemed to have a mind of their own, going from his shoulders to the nape of his neck, absentmindedly fiddling with the hairs that lay there.

Slowly, Austin leaned down, not going any further. He wanted her to kiss him.

"Kiss me." He whispered, "Please."

The slight crack in his pleading, and the dip of his inner eyebrows was enough for her heartbeat to accelerate.

Ryder was almost grateful her mind tuned out everything going on around her, her soft, ring covered hand touching the side of his face as she stood tall and placed her lips upon his own.

She could feel him inhale at the touch, slowly relaxing into the kiss.

She could feel his jaw moving as his lips mingled with hers, her thumb rubbing small circles against his jawline as she too, fell into a deep trance.

His lips were both soft and warm, bringing her comfort, hers being the opposite, her feeling more on the colder side. Austin kept the thought to give her his jacket in the back on his mind.

They only pulled away by Ryder's need for air.

Austin would have passed out right there, in front of everyone, if it meant he could kiss her again without having to pull away.

Her forehead rested against his while they caught their much deserved breath.

Neither spoke, suddenly becoming painfully aware that they were still at a school dance. Even if they wanted to trash that thought, it couldn't happened, because in the four seconds of them standing there, Stiles ran up to them in a panic.

"Have either of you seen Lydia?"

•••

Her shoes were off as she ran through the gym.

Her feet were hurting and now she was in search for a missing Lydia Martin.

How she managed to get lost at a school dance with chaperones at every corner? Ryder had no clue. But, the two girls did just have a heartfelt conversation, the least Ryder could do was help search for the girl.

She would have dismissed her absence if Stiles hadn't looked so nervous and scared.

She walked outside, her silver heels being held tightly in her hands as she ran through the lacrosse field. She could hear Austin not too far from her doing the same. Her eyes squint at the sight of Lydia further away.

"Lydia?!" She shouted, catching Austin's attention, "Lydia, what the hell are you doin'?"

The girl didn't respond.

The Miller girl grumbled to herself, completely unaware of the man that stood behind the teen, the field light too bright to make out his figure.

"Lydia! Ryder! Run!"

A shrill scream forced Ryder to stop in her tracks, only red seemed to flood her vision as she watch Lydia drop to the ground.

"Don't move." Peter Hale demanded.

How could she tell him she was stuck and she didn't plan on moving?

She wanted to point that much out, but her eyes couldn't leave the strawberry blonde that laid limply in the grass. She wasn't even aware that Peter had taken hold of her upper arm, running his clawed hand against the inked part of her skin.

"Don't hurt them. Please." She could vaguely hear Stiles plead.

It didn't take long before Austin made it to the scene, the same words spewing from his lips.

Peter shook his head in a sort of reassurance, "Of course not. Just tell me how to find Derek."

Stiles stuttered, tears in his eyes as he dropped by Lydia's body, "W-what?"

"Or do you know?" The Hale man directed his attention to the blue eyed teen who had his hands out to show that he meant no harm, not wanting anyone to get hurt, but his eyes moved around in hopes of catching Ryder's attention.

"Huh?"

"Tell me how to find Derek Hale!" His voice grew louder by the second, sinking his nails into Ryder's skin, drawing blood. This only fueled Austin's need to her away from
him. But he couldn't even get her to look at anything but Lydia.

Stiles shivered, "We don't- we don't know that. How would we know that?"

"Because you're the clever one, aren't you?" Peter quizzed, "And because deception has a particularly acrid scent, Stiles. Tell me the truth - Or I will rip her apart."

"Tell him, Stiles." Austin pleaded, the sound snapping Ryder out of her trance. She suddenly became aware of what was happening, letting out a cry of pain when Peter started to drag his nails into her arm.

"Look - Look, I don't know, okay? I sw - I swear to god, I have no idea."

"Tell me!" Peter shouted.

Ryder let out a sob, alarming the teen boys,

"Okay, okay, okay, look, I - I think he knew—"

Peter continued to press, "Knew what?"

"Derek, I think he - I think he knew he was gonna be caught."

"By the Argents?"

"Yeah." The Stilinski nodded frantically, his shaky hands pressing against Lydia's wounds.

"And?"

"When they were shot, he and Scott - I think he took Scott's Phone." Stiles spilled.

"Why?" Stiles hesitated, "Why?!"

Tears flooded Austin vision, praying the other boy would answer, so he could get the two girls out of there as quick as possible.

Ryder let out a scream of pain, Peter's claws now digging into her side, she could feel his fangs brush against the side of her neck.

The panic set in as the awaited Stiles' reply.

"Stiles, please."

"They all have GPS now. So if he still has it and if it's still on - you can find him."

Despite getting the answer he wanted, that didn't seem to be enough for him.

Ryder's loud, pain filled scream could be heard from inside the gym, alerting anyone who cared to listen.

Her body falling beside Lydia's not too long after, her body laid still, the only indication she was alive was the twitching of her fingers as they brushed against the girls next to her.

Ryder couldn't even hear Austin and Stiles' cries of why he did it. Why he bit her.

But she heard Peter's response.

"It's a gift to her mother."

God, how she wished she drank that alcohol.