animal clinic

—

After texting her dad that he didn't have to pick her up, and receiving a detail explanation that she shouldn't be home too late, Ryder made her way to Austin's car. Derek had insisted that the girl went with him, while she knew she shouldn't be around him, Stiles' pleading expression had convinced her.

So, she sat in the passenger seat of Austin's vehicle, the pair following closely behind Stiles' jeep as they waited to see where they would be stopping.

They had been driving around for what felt like forever, truthfully only being about fifteen minutes. The two were going back and forth and telling each other about their families.

"And you have a step sister?"

"Yep, she's thirteen, her names Josephine." Ryder says, "She prefers Josie, though. You?"

"No, i'm an only child."

Ryder's brows raise, "Seriously?"

He chuckles, "Seriously. It's just me and my mom."

She hums, "You give off 'i'm an older brother' vibes."

"Do I?" He laughs out

"You do. You just have a defensive brother demeanor."

Austin hums at her words, taking his chance to question her, "So, it's just you, your sister, and your dad?" He asks, not entirely sure if his question came off as insensitive or not.

"Uh- no. My moms sick."

Panic rushes through his veins as he heard the words fall from her lips.

"Oh god, i'm so sorry. i am so sorry." He rushes out, taking his eyes off the back of Stiles' car so he can turn all his attention to her.

"It's fine." She says.

"It's not. I'm sorry, Ryder." He continues, his rambles going on to the point where she has to place her hand over his mouth to quiet him down.

"I promise you, it's okay. You didn't know."

While he knew she was right, he didn't know, that doesn't mean he felt any less bad that he brought it up. From the looks she's given him, he can tell that she truly cares for her family,

"Look." She points, "They're leaving."

Her phone buzzes, indicating that she got a text, looking down, she notices it's from Stiles.

'animal clinic'

"How ironic."

•••

Austin didn't waste time in assisting Stiles in helping Derek into the animal clinic. Ryder, on the other hand, took as much time as she wanted to even step foot into the establishment. Not only was she weary of being around Derek, but she wasn't the biggest fan of whatever was gushing out of his arm at the moment,