night at the school

—

The school day went as smooth as a school day could get.

Ryder had texted her father to let her know that she'd be at Austin's house studying, she got a smirk emoji in response.

Austin was both excited and nervous for his crush to meet the woman that have him life. As much as he adored his mom, he knew that both her and Ryder had two completely different personalities, he didn't want either of them to scare the other away.

The school day had ended on a good note, the pair meeting up at the end of their classes so Austin can drive them to his house.

As they sat in his car, he kept trying to come up with excuses to avoid getting to his house so quickly.

They had ended up stopping for ice cream, not that Ryder was one to complain. She could tell he was anxious, he hadn't even made a comment about her dolce de leche, she was starting to get a bit worried, despite him constantly reassuring that he was fine.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine, I told you i was fine." He said, his hands planted firmly on the wheel as he drove under the speed limit.

"You don't look fine."

"I'm fine." He insisted, "If anything, I'm just being a bit dramatic about it."

She frowns, "About what?"

"Listen—"

"Listening."

"My mom- She's a bit... not like you." He tried, "She's an extremely happy person, and you don't seem to associate yourself with cheery people. So, just, you know...?"

"I actually don't know."

Austin sighs, "She'll probably try to make excessive conversation with you. You know, asking about you life and stuff. It might seem like she's prying but i promise she's just a curious person."

"Okay." The Miller girl nodded, "So, she's the older female version of you. I think i can handle that."

He felt himself stop mid nod, his blue eyes narrowing as he glanced to the girl in the passenger seat, "That's- That's a good thing, right?"

She doesn't respond.

Simply, smiling in his direction while taking another scoop of her ice cream.

•••

"Austin, my sweetness!" Jennifer George squealed once she heard the front door open. "I made cookies!"

"Thanks, mom. Hey, uhm- there's someone i want you to meet." He called out, placing his hand to the small of Ryder's back, gently directing her toward the kitchen area.

Jenn's loud, prolonged scream was heard. Ryder's holding back a wince as she was spotted by the woman, almost immediately being pulled into a hug. She couldn't help but tense at the sudden affection, this going unnoticed by the woman as she pulled away from her with a large smile.