wrathful detities

—

Austin woke up to the sound of whistled whimpering.

He groaned as he stretched, putting his arm out to feel for Ryder. After patting around for a bit, he came to the conclusion that she was no longer there and it was her that was crying in the corner of his room.

Sitting up quickly, his blanket fell, exposing his bare chest.

It took little to not know for him to spot the white wolf that was sat under his desk.

"Ry..." He began getting out of bed, stepping towards the girl.

She growled at him, baring her teeth threateningly. He simply sighed, his head tilting at her, silently letting her know that he didn't have time for this. (A/N: idk why this is so funny to me 😭)

"Come on, now." He dropped to his knees, putting his hand out, giving her the opportunity to get used to his scent.

"We have school is less than four hours, Ry. I'm tired, you're tired, we should just go back to sleep." He spoke softly, not wanting to scare her as she stepped towards him, running her head over his hand.

Unknown to them, they fell asleep like that.

Austin cuddling Ryder's wolf while she snuggled into his chest. (Ew)

•••

Ryder was awake and dressed before Austin got up from the floor. She could hear his bones crack as he stretched, though her eyes didn't once leave her phone screen as she texted Josie.

Rubbing his face of any sleep, Austin knelt on his bed to cautiously greet the girl, "Morning, Ry."

"Hi." She sent him a closed lip smile.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." She nodded.

Austin squinted, fully sitting down on the bed, "Did sleep good last night?"

Rolling her eyes a bit, she let her phone fall from her hands, "I didn't sleep at all if that's what you're really asking. I remember my turn and i'm sorry I woke you."

"You don't have to apologize, you're free to wake me up whenever you need me." Austin quickly reassured her, "Do you know why that happened?"

"I'm going to ask if you could please stop speaking to me as if i'm going to explode."

"Right, sorry." He grunted as he pushed himself off his bed, walking around the room to collect the things he needed to get ready for school.

"It's probably the effects Deaton was talking about." She told him, not bothering to turn around as he began to switch his pants.

"Makes sense." He nodded, "Why didn't you wake me earlier so I could help?"

"Because it was four hours before we needed to wake up for school." She mocked him, watching a small smile form on his face.