crushing on finstock

Stiles had came up with a plan.

A plan that neither Ryder or her mother wanted her to participate in. But, the teen knew that things wouldn't have gone as planned if she allowed them to follow through on their own.

So, reluctantly, she had agreed to help them with whatever was needed. She didn't completely understand what she was supposed to do, as all she had gotten from their five minute conversation on the steps was that she was their backup.

For the meantime, herself, along with Austin, would be watching the ongoing lacrosse game.

What made this situation worse, was the fact that their families would also be attending the game.

It wouldn't be hard to explain what was going on to Romona and Aaron, but Jennifer George was a naturally curious person. They could only hope that her attention wouldn't falter when it was time for them to leave.

For now, her blue eyes couldn't seem to leave the man on the field. Much to Ryder's amusement and Austin's disgust.

"Coach Bobby Finstock." She gushed, "He has such a handsome name."

"Mom, please—"

"Austin, don't be such a wuss puss." Jenn cut his off, "I'm only enjoying my time as a single mother. Do you think he'd care that I have a son, Ryder?"

"Not at all." The girl smiled, "I'd say that Coach is a pretty open guy."

"Don't entertain this." Austin tried, his head dipping down as his words were ignored.

"I think you two would make a beautiful couple, Jenn."

"Oh! I do too. Should i give him my number after the game?"

"You definitely should." Ryder encouraged, her voice showing more enthusiasm than her features did as her eyes caught the gesture Stiles was throwing at her.

"You're a fantastic wing woman—"

"Hey, actually, I really need the bathroom."

"Oh, okay." The woman nodded, "Austin, go with her. Last thing we need is for some creep the follow her to the restroom."

That turned out a lot better than expected.

The two already came up with an excuse for Austin, this only made their situation the tiniest bit easier.

Getting up, the teens gave Jennifer a wave and short goodbye, earning a half one in response. The woman too focused on the lacrosse Coach to even pay attention to them.

Austin was in disbelief that his mother was crushing on Finstock.

•••

"Where are your parents?" Stiles asked as soon as he spotted Austin and Ryder walking toward him.

"Right there." She pointed, jogging across the parking lot to greet them, she didn't even to the car that a teary eyed strawberry blonde sat in. Walking forward, she almost immediately noticed the absence of her younger sister, "Where's Jo?"

"At her friend, Mason's house." Aaron grumbled, "You know, I didn't really get a voice in the matter of you getting a boyfriend, and now your sisters following in your footsteps."

"Austin's not my boyfriend?" Ryder frowned.

Romona followed behind her daughter, taking zero time to correct him, "Mason is gay, Aaron, we have been over this. And he is a good kid."