lydia's birthday

(they make him look so short 😭)—

"What is that?"

Boyd glanced at Isaac before turning to the item in Derek's hand, "It's a triskele. Spirals mean different things - Past, present, future. Mother, father, child."

"You know what it means to me?" The man pressed,

"Alpha, beta, omega?" The teen shrugged his shoulders, easily guessing.

"That's right. It's a spiral. Reminds us that we can all rise to one or fall to another. Betas can become alphas, but alphas can also fall to betas or even omegas."

"Like Scott? Or Ryder?" Isaac asked,

"Scott's with us." Derek hummed, "Ryder's doing her own thing."

Derek wouldn't admit it out loud, but it truly bothered him how persistent the girl was with not joining a pack. Statistically speaking, she was apart of her mothers pack, but technically, Romona didn't even have a pack.

Despite the woman being an alpha, Romona hadn't actually bit anyone, and when Ryder was born, she hadn't actually been a wolf until she was bitten by Peter. So, technically, despite the girl not caring, Ryder was apart of Peter's pack. Her being as stubborn and headstrong as she is, Ryder wouldn't allow anyone aside from her mother to take her into a pack.

"Really? Then where is he now?" The Lahey snapped.

"He's looking for Jackson. Don't worry, he's not gonna have it easy tonight either. None of us will. There's a price you pay for this kind of power. You get the ability to heal, but tonight you're gonna want to kill anything you can find."

"Good thing I had my period last week, then."

"That's—okay."

The boys cringed at her words, uncomfortable with how comfortable she was with saying that.

"Well, this one's for you."

•••

Austin wasn't planning on attending Lydia's birthday party, but after hearing that it was apparently the biggest party of the year and that everyone would be there, his mind immediately went to catching Jackson.

What he didn't expect when he walked up to the porch was for the house to empty, aside from Scott and Stiles.

"Where the hell is everybody?"

"Not here." Stiles said bluntly.

"Happy Birthday!" Austin smiled at Lydia once she passed him.

Lydia smiled him, much to Austin's confusion. She hadn't been properly nice to him since she found out he was with Ryder, "Thank you. Don't forget to try the punch."