crazy birds

The room was silent as all the birds in the room dropped dead in front of them.

Students were hesitant to get from underneath their desks, some having tear filled eyes as they tried to comprehend what had just happened.

"Are you okay?" Austin held Ryder's face in his hands, watching the cuts heal right before his eyes. He hid her face in his chest, using this time to pull any loose feathers from her hair while looking around the classroom.

He locked eyes on Stiles, "You okay?"

"I'm good." The Stilinski nodded, silently asking the same before turning to Lydia.

Ryder pulled away, looking around to ensure everyone she semi cared about was fine before grabbing Austin's wrist and discreetly taking away any sort of hurt he was feeling.

She could feel him try and pull away, whispering how he didn't want her to feel any more pain than she was already feeling.

•••

"Ryder."

"Austin."

The couple turned at the sound of their names, going their separate ways to talk to their mothers.

"Where's dad?" The teen immediately asked as she walked up to Ramona.

The woman scoffed, "He's at work. Are you okay? What happened?"

"We got ambushed." The girl chuckled, smile falling at her moms deadpanned expression, "Sorry, it's not funny. Birds went crazy."

"Supernaturally crazy, or is it just a coincidence?" The woman lowered her voice.

"Your guess is as good as mine." She shrugged, "However, i would like to point out that the new teacher is really weird and i don't trust her."

As soon as she said this, Ramona looked to the woman who looked shaken up, narrowing her eyes at the way she flinched when Stiles pulled a feather from her hair.

Ryder placed her hands on her hips, looking towards her mom with a conflicted face, "She looks innocent now, but when are they ever?"

Meanwhile, Jennifer patted Austin down, spewing out question after question on how he was.

Her hand rubbed the cut on his cheek, making the teen jerk his head back with a hiss.

The woman apologized softly, "Austin."

"I'm okay, mom." He promised her, grabbing her hands, "It's just a scratch."

Jennifer sighed, pulling her son into a short hug, pulling away and holding him at arms length. "How's Ryder?"

"She's okay, she's with her mom." He nodded in their direction, shaking his head in confusion as he watched the girl explain something with her hands.

He followed behind her as the woman ran up to his girlfriend, pulling the girl into a surprise hug.

He smiled as Ramona pulled him into a hug as well, asking him how he was doing. Austin nodded at her, letting her know that everyone was perfectly fine aside from a few scratches.

"Are you all aright?" Sheriff Stilinski walked up to them, smiling comfortingly at the teens.

Austin nodded, "Yes, sir."

"Yeah." Ryder said, eyeing her boyfriend awkwardly at his weird amount of respect. It was nothing new, but it never seized to surprise her. The Miller teen turned to her mom with a smile, "So, seeing as we got attacked, does that mean I have to finished the rest of the day?"