lost opportunities?

—

Austin had spent majority of his weekend with Ryder. When he wasn't bashing the girl about her choice in ice cream flavors, he was probably in his bedroom doing school work for the next month.

His life was boring, he'd admit it.

At his old school, he would spend his time either playing baseball or watching his friends bully people, not his best moments. But now he figured he had something he actually enjoyed doing.

Which is why he had decided that he would officially ask Ryder to go on a date with him. While many people would assume their trips back and forth to the ice cream shop were dates, Ryder had made it abundantly clear that they were only hanging out. And if it had been a date, Austin knew he wouldn't want their first official date to be getting ice cream.

The boy was walking into the school, the first day back after the lacrosse game. He glanced around the halls, quickly spotting his new found crush. He almost immediately took notice of the different jewelry she chose to wear that day.

Sighing softly to himself, he adjusts his jacket before walking towards her.

"Hi, Ryder."

His steps slow as he watches someone he's grown familiar with walk up to her. His brows furrow as he watches her smile nicely at the boy.

"Hey, Isaac."

He felt like he had lost the opportunity, shaking his head with a determined look, ultimately deciding that he'd take his chance at lunch.

He clears his throat awkwardly, praying to God that no one saw his failed attempt. However, he hadn't noticed the strawberry blonde who stood not to far away, quirking a suspicious brow at his actions.

•••

Ryder glanced up from her book, smiling softly at the blue eyed boy in front of her.

The girl was sat at her usual table for lunch, not really expecting anyone to sit with her. She hadn't gotten the chance to speak with Austin all day, but she had seen him around the school, she naturally assumed he was done being around her. It was only a matter of time before he followed in everyone else's footsteps.

"Hey." He smiled, picking up on the way she closed her book so he had her full attention.

"Hi."

Austin shifts in his seat, moving around the fries that sat in his plate, he was almost sure she noticed how nervous he was but chose not to speak on it, which he was grateful for.

Ryder looked at him with a squint, patiently waiting for him to speak, she could tell something was on his mind and didn't want to interrupt before he could get anything out. Though it seemed she wouldn't be doing the interrupting.