mint chocolate or caramel?

—

The car was silent.

So silent that it started to be uncomfortable for the dark haired girl. Ryder could tell that Austin was slightly upset they were leaving the party early. She felt bad that he felt like he had to go because she was.

Shifting in her seat, the girl clears her throat slightly, glancing over at Austin who keeps his eyes focused on the road.

"Hey." She starts softly, not wanting to startle him.

"Yeah?"

She inhales softly, "Do you want to go get ice cream?"

"Ice cream?" Austin chuckles. His eyes lighting up at the suggestion

"Yeah." She shrugs, "If you don't want to—"

"No, I want to." He clears his throat, dropping his excitement a little, "We can go."

Ryder chuckles to herself as Austin quickly sets his phone to direct him to an ice cream shop.

She could practically feel the happiness radiating off of his body, which resulted in her hiding her own smile.

Glancing out of the window, the brunette managed to catch sight of someone running through the woods. Her brows creasing when she noticed it looked like someone was getting chased. Her eyes narrow at the flash of light that came from the woods.

"Hey, you okay?" Austin asked softly, catching the girls attention.

"Yeah, everything's fine." She reassured, her attention now solely on him. "What's your favorite ice cream?"

•••

"That looks disgusting." Ryder cringes.

The two were sat in a booth at an ice cream shop Ryder used to go to before her parents decided that they didn't like her anymore.

Ryder sat in front of Austin, watching as he ate the nastiest ice cream she's ever tasted.

Mint chocolate chip.

"What do you mean? This is amazing." Austin chuckles, taking a spoonful of the treat.

Ryder's lips curl downward, a look of disgust taking over her features.

"Try it."

Her head shakes, "Absolutely not."

"Come on." He pushes, "If you don't like it, then i'll try your disgusting excuse of a good ice cream."

Ryder scoffs, "Dulce de leche is amazing."

"I'm sure it is." He smiles, "But mint chocolate chip is better."

"Is not."

"Is too. Try it."

Reluctantly, the brunette took the spoon from his hand, glancing over at his eager expression before placing the utensil to her mouth.