the story

—

Scott's fight with the alpha, more known to the public as Derek Hale's murder spree, had caused the school to get shut down for a few days. Not only did they need to fix any damage that had been done but they also had to make sure that Derek wasn't lurking around the area.

Ryder hadn't spoke much since that night, which left the house uncomfortably silent. Even if they didn't talk, Ryder's mom would make her way to the girls room to soothe her daughter. Josie and Aaron hadn't known the man as well as they did, so they couldn't really offer their help.

She had been upset about multiple things. The main one being the death of Derek.

Ryder had known the man since she was little, having not spoken to him since she was ten. But that didn't mean she couldn't care about him.

Talia, Derek's mom, and Romona, Ryder's mom had been best friends for years. Romona knew all about the families secret of them being werewolves.

She was too loyal to the family, to the point where she was at risk the night she lost her best friend.

The Hale fire is what made Romona cut any ties she had with the Hale family. That included forcing her daughter out of a friendship she had with Cora and Derek Hale.

•••

Austin and Ryder had spent Saturday (a/n: this was the night stiles took scott the to the woods to get drunk) in the girls bedroom.

She had used her phone, much to his surprise, to call him over. He wasted little to no time rushing over to her house, only stopping to grab them some ice cream.

The pair laid in the girls bed, door slightly cracked as the spoke about whatever came to mind.

"Can I ask you something?"

Ryder sighs, "Might as well. There's nothing better to do."

"Just don't hate me." The way he started off already made her want to hate him, "How do you know Derek?"

He watched the brunette sit up straight, eyes darting to her bedroom door quickly.

The only other person in the house right now was her mother. Aaron had finally left for work, and the middle school wasn't closed, so Josie wasn't here either.

Ryder had told the story once before, obviously leaving any supernatural parts out. It was when her, Scott and Stiles were good friends. The Stilinski was a very curious twelve year old.

The only difference is that for some reason, Ryder wanted her mom to be present. Austin knew of the supernatural world, so she wanted to make sure she got every single detail correct.