Chapter 127 A New Purpose

No one's POV

Currently, in his apartment, Higa was typing away on his computer, readying something. He had only told the RATH technicians that he was heading home to pick up a change of clothes; in 30 or so minutes he would have to return to the Roppongi branch. In place of the apparently dead Kikuoka Seijirou, Dr. Koujiro was occupied every day with public relations, so Higa was now the actual supervisor of Project Alicization.

But if they were to find out he had used his position to smuggle something out, he'd be reprimanded no, demoted for sure. That something was now enshrined to the right of the kotatsu, connected to a bizarre, sophisticated apparatus. This apparatus, a hand-assembled frame crammed full of circuit boards and wiring, was undoubtedly the most valuable and advanced object in the entire room. It was the only Light Cube interface apart from the one in Alice's mechanical body that was not sealed within the Ocean Turtle.
Connected to it was a metal container about six centimeters wide. Higa stared at the cube's cold sheen.

Higa: There's no way it's going to run... It's going to collapse immediately. That's what the copies of me and Mr. Kiku did. There's no way a human soul preserved within a Light Cube can handle the realization that it's a copy of itself. Even if... Even if it's...

Higa's finger then hovered over the key of his keyboard and taking a deep breath, he clicked it and the program began running. The whirring of the large fan in his full tower PC intensified. At the center of the black window on the screen, polychromatic rays of light surfaced into being, like the birth of a star.
Innumerable peaks sliced powerfully at the darkness. They wavered, trembled, and gleamed. At last, a familiar voice carried quietly from the speakers on either side of the monitor.

Nhazul's Fluctlight: You're Higa, correct?

Higa just looked at the screen and just swallowed his spit and spoke up.

Higa: Y-Yeah...

Nhazul's Fluctlight: So I wasn't deleted. Or to be more precise... I've been copied..

Higa: How... How on earth was I going to delete you?! You're the first Fluctlight to ever survive past 200 years' time! Not even... You're the first person to ever live the longest life in human history! How on earth was I supposed to delete you... Nhazul, huh?!

The copy of Nhazul Hatakes's Fluctlight, the one that had stuck out 200 years of the maximum acceleration phase in Underworld and just awakened, now knew that it was a duplicate of something else.Every experiment up until this point, without exception, had resulted in the copy losing composure, descending into panic, letting loose a bizarre scream, and collapsing. Higa grit his teeth, waiting for a response from the speaker and seconds later, he got one.

Nhazul's Fluctlight: knew that something like this was going to happen...Higa....Am I the only Fluctlight you copied?

Higa: Y...Yeah. I had to do it during the memory deletion, right under the noses of Lieutenant Colonel Kikuoka and Dr. Koujiro, so yours was the only one I could copy...

Nhazul's Fluctlight: I see...

Another silence took the room. Perhaps Nhazul's Fluctlight was processing the information he was given. Not of his existence as a copy, but that his Queen, "his" Shino, she was now gone, now once again alone. As the copied consciousness sealed within the Light Cube continued in that exceedingly steady voice.