Chapter 82: Blade

Enids POV:

I look around the room, as confused as everyone else. The only person that is not confused is Wednesday. I look at her shocked and confused.

"He can read your mind Enid. Honestly it's quiet impressive. I have never met a mind reader before, I'm surprised that my mother was able to find one for this job." She says normally. Based on everyone else's reactions in the room, I can tell that none of them have ever met a mind reader before.

I mean, mind readers are one of the rarest kinds of outcasts that you can be. There hasn't been a student or teacher at Nevermore who can read read minds in a long time.

"Once again, hello class." He says at the front of the room clapping his hands once. "First off, my name is Clay Vanderwell, and even though I am your teacher I insist that you call me Clay. If I get to call you by your first name you should be able to do the same with me." He says walking back and forth around the front of the room.

"Secondly! I am a mind reader. Now I know multiple of you are wondering 'how the hell did a mind reader end up as a sex ed teacher at Nevermore' well let me answer. When a good friend of mine told me that there was an open spot for a sex ed teacher at Nevermore, I couldn't deny it! And me and your headmistress both thought it would be an amazing idea to have me here...can you guess why?" He says putting his hands together. He scans his eyes around the room to he is anybody has an answer.

One thing that I have noticed is that he is super nice with the way he talks. He's welcoming and and overall chill person so far, despite being a little bit quirky.

"YES! That's right Kent! All of you know that sexual education can be a very awkward class to be in, resulting in less questions getting asked. Well, for the questions that you don't feel comfortable asking...you don't have to ask! Cause not only can I hear them when I look at you-" He says pausing pointing to his ears. "But I can see them above your head!" He says putting his hands down.

Out of my peripheral vision I can see Eugene raising his hand.

"Yes Eugene, what do you have to ask?" He says taking a few steps closer to hear better.

"Well, if you can hear and see our thoughts. Do we need to ask any questions out loud? Like, do we even need to talk?"

"Good question! But I will only be using my ability when I comes to the questions that you as students are absolutely hellbent on not asking out loud. So yes, if you have a question that you feel comfortable asking in front of people. Please raise your hand and do so. Or, don't raise your hand at all and ask the question! Whatever you as an individual feel like is best for you." He says to the whole class.

He takes a moment before looking around the room once again to see if there are any questions.

I turn my head to the left end of the classroom to see this boy named Tatum raising his hand. Mr, Vanderwell- I mean, Clay claps his hands together once again and points to Tatum.

"Fire away." The teacher says.

"Can we swear?" Tatum says receiving some laughs and chuckles from around the room.

"Can we swear?" Clay says repeating the question. "Can we swear!?" He says repeating the question once again, putting both of his hands over his heart as if he was offended. "OF course you can swear! I'm not here to stop you from saying what you want to say. As long as you don't swear at each-other, and always use it in a respectful manner!"

The whole class perks up from their seats a little because I think we all started to realise how cool this new teacher actually was. I turn to Wednesday and smile as she raises her hand.

"Yes Wednesday." He says to her. She says nothing bad to him and just stares. After about 10 seconds the silence is broken. "As much as I would love to see that, sadly I have to say no to that. We don't need any bloodshed in this classroom. However I would be happy to trade with you sometime after class." He says with an apologetic look on his face. The rest of the class stares at Wednesday, wondering what the hell she could have just asked.

"Okay, thank you." Wednesday says.

"What did you ask him?" I whisper to her.

"He said that I couldn't bring in my new machete to the class, but he agreed that he would be willing to replace the blade on mine with the snake patterned one on his shelf." She says to me.

I look around the room for a snake patterned machete blade. Then I found it, it's a bright shiny silver blade with a carved in snake seemingly slithering around it.

That's cool as hell.

I think to myself.

"Thank you Enid." He says to me, I don't know how many times that is going to happen for me to get used to that.

"Why would you be willing to trade something like that? I mean, it's has to be of value; yea?" I ask him from my seat, still looking at the blade.

"It's Wednesday Addams, I doubt that she would have even thought about the idea of a trade if she didn't have something equal in value to trade it with." He says gesturing to my girlfriend with a smile on his face.

"I would not have. Besides, based on your overall aesthetic I think you will be quite pleased with what I have to trade." Wednesday says in her monotone voice.

"What exactly are you willing to trade me for it Wednesday?" He says slowly getting more into the conversation. The rest of the class eyeing them both down also interested.

"It's a 1700 thin silver blade, with dark carvings of multiple ancient chinese roses. I figured since both blades are from similar times you would have no problem trading with me, especially since mine is a little higher of value." She says occasionally looking back up at the snake blade.

"If yours is of more value why are you willing to trade it with me?" Clay says in response.

"Such a simple answer I'm afraid."

"That being?" He says back to her.

"I like yours better. Even if it's not more valuable money wise, it can be more valuable to me than my current one." She says looking back down at the teacher. "Aside from that, I don't find it very comforting to use the blade that I currently have."

"Why is that?" He asks, probably suspecting there might be something wrong with if.

"There is nothing wrong with it, don't get me wrong it's as perfect of a blade that you can ask for. It just doesn't match me. What good is a blade that doesn't match your personality?" She asks more as a rhetorical question.

"I suppose so." He says with a smirk on his face. "Any you think my machete blade matches you better?"

"Without a doubt."