Chapter 4

The rose garden of Leontine's residence. Two maids with buckets of water were hiding and whispering behind the rose bushes.

“Our Lady will be expelled, right?”

“Well, that's only natural. It's uncertain whether she's an illegitimate child or not, and the new young master has come…”

“But don't you think they have a good relationship? With our lady's usual temperament, she should've lost her mind by now…”

“I know right. They look like a painting when they stand side by side like that.”

This house's servants talk a lot. Tidwell thought as he heard their conversation.

The maids whispered, thinking that they were hiding themselves well. But Tidwell's sharp hearing allowed him to hear their conversation easily.

'I don't think she can hear them.'

Tidwell's gaze turned to a woman whose head was tinier than his.

A woman who wore a pink bonnet that matched her outfit. She was the woman who would soon become Tidwell's new sister as planned.

And that woman confused Tidwell yesterday.

To begin with, he did not believe when Ravia said she wasn't interested in her position.

Of course, Duke Leontine was also at fault for saying, “That's because she's uselessly greedy,” after Ravia's departure. But even before that, Tidwell was a man who didn't know the word 'trust'.

'But you're just a human, so there's nothing special about you.'

He was a man who lived in the black-world. He had seen every human's rotten aspects.

Humans are filthy. That sentence was deeply ingrained in Tidwell's mind.

Ever since he lost his whole family and was roaming around the back alley, distrust was inscribed on his body.

Betrayal was the only thing that comes back when you trust a person. Because people only care about their own interests.

'So what she says can't be true.'

Ravia's afterimage was painted in Tidwell's chilly gaze.

An indifferent and pathetic figure. She resembled a divine being who decided to leave everything behind.

Her figure that looked as if she was going to disappear was so dangerous that even Tidwell was almost fooled.

If it weren't for the words that Ravia left behind.

-”You might not know, but I knew this would happen. One day someone will show up and take everything from me.”

Take everything from me.

Tidwell noticed a small lingering feeling in that sentence.

He was familiar with all kinds of negative emotions. Had he not noticed such blatant lingering feelings, he would have had to reflect on himself.