Chapter 14

Ravia tried to suppress the tremor in her voice. So far, she and Tidwell have been on good terms. So, he couldn't be an assassin sent by Tidwell. If someone had really intended to kill her, they would have stabbed her neck without going through all this trouble.

'He doesn't seem like a nobleman.'

Ravia now had the eyes to discern the difference between ordinary and underworld people. Last time, she stopped by a cafe to look for a messenger and even attended the secret society gathering. Thus, she had quite the experience.

The most obvious distinction was one's hand movement. Nobles are taught to kill discreetly. Straighten the waist and keep the hands still. As invisible as possible. One's legs shouldn't make noise. The more you move soundlessly, the more correct it is.

However, the underworld was different. It's not that they didn't learn these manners, but they always raised both hands where everyone can see them on purpose.

Whether to move them around, put it on their chest, or hold something. This is how [His and Her Spring] explained it:

'To show that you're not going to kill.'

Showing their hands meant they weren't going to do anything threatening.

As proof, the man who brazenly occupied the seat next to Ravia clasped his hands over the top of his crossed legs, which meant her safety was somewhat guaranteed.

Ravia, who quietly picked up the bell to call people, paused.

“You'd better not do anything useless, miss.”

The man pulled a dagger out of his arms at once. The man's white teeth and dagger were especially clear in the dark.

Just in time, the interlude changed from a violin to viola. Ravia's heart skipped a beat along with the low melody. She put down the bell silently, and just like him, she placed her hands on the armrest. Only then did the man smile and put away his dagger.

Now that her eyes had adjusted to the darkness, the man's expression was roughly visible.

“I like you because you are quick-witted. I really didn't have a seat reserved today, so I can't help but take someone else's seat. I don't intend to stab you.”

Who would believe that? Ravia paid no heed to what the man said and replied.

“Isn't that enough to be a crime?”

“I'm going to rent the remaining seat anyway.”

Ravia let out a smirk. But the man just grinned.

“By the way, I didn't expect you to consider yourself a lost woman. Aren't you empathizing with Violetta too much?”

Violetta is the heroine of La Traviata. La Traviata means 'the one who goes astray', and it was also a story of Violetta's tragedy. La Traviata tells the love story of Violetta, who worked as a high-ranking prostitute or courtesan. She falls in love with a noble man, but she ends up in tragedy because of her low status and tuberculosis.

Status. A word that was closely related to Ravia since she received suspicious glances about her legitimacy all the time.

'Did he say that without realizing that I'm Ravia Leontine?'