Chapter 96

Duke Leontine’s funeral was held in a hasty manner.

The entire process was also deemed too hasty and cast doubts among people.

Thus, people who had returned after paying condolences began to voice their doubts on that specific matter.

“Are you saying that the Duke’s accident was caused by speeding…?”

“It’s not even a mountain road. It’s on the roadside.”

“Didn’t they say the wheels were unsteady?”

“I heard there was an issue with the horse…”

Even the cause of the accident was unknown. Every testimony was different.

Accidents where two people died instantly on the roadside are not that common.

Moreover, it was considered by many to be a mysterious accident because it resulted in Duke Leontine’s death.

Everybody knew that there was nothing good for them to poke their noses into this mysterious accident.However, coming from a group of people who had to continually change their perspective in order to survive, it wasn’t all that shocking.

Beneath her mourning veil, Ravia thought to herself apathetically.

‘Everyone has noticed.’

Someone instigated this accident.

Actually, even if not that, this accident was already a feast for the gossipers.

After all, we were talking about Leontine who put Tidwell into the family register and created a buzz on who would be the successor here.

Duke Leontine died before he could hold a proper selection for his succession, so the vultures definitely wouldn’t miss this golden chance. Not to mention, that Leontine proceeded with the funeral without investigating the cause of death had fueled more doubts.

So far, these talks began to circulate.

It must be the work of Lady Leontine who felt threatened by the entrance of an adopted son.

‘It’s the exact opposite.’

If it were any other time, she would get angry because of how ridiculous that gossip was.

Now, Ravia only listened to their whispers without a smile on her face.

The flowers already sit on top of the coffin anyway, so there was no point in listening to them.

Whether it was in her previous life or the present, people’s tendency to talk carelessly about other people’s lives remained the same.

‘Maybe their rambling will get worse when I become the next duke.’ she thought, before stepping away.

She recalled two days ago, the fifth day after the accident.

“Tidwell.”

Ravia finally called someone who she deemed non-existent for the whole 5 days.

He immediately reacted. His stiff face devoid of a smile turned toward Ravia.

No, it wasn’t right to call it a reaction because his gaze was always on Ravia.

After Ravia collapsed after crying like that, Tidwell refused to leave Ravia’s side for days. Whether it was surveillance, or his definition of ‘love’ as he claimed.

Perhaps the biggest reason was because she didn’t eat or drink anything.

She rejected every meal they offered, and she would throw up whatever entered her stomach.