Chapter 13

Inside the office of Duke Leontine.

The voice of a middle-aged man mixed with the scribbling sound of a pen could be heard.

“How is Tidwell, butler?”

“Nothing is different aside from the fact that he's had tea time with my lady.”

The scribbling stopped. Duke Leontine looked at the butler with puzzled eyes.

“Did he have tea time with Ravia?”

“Young master seems to want to get along with my lady.”

“Huh? That's commendable.”

And rather useless.

Duke Leontine put down his pen and leaned over his chair.

“So, how's it going? Did that young child mess up anything?”

“The two are on good terms, Your Grace. The young master wanted to get along with my lady.”

At the butler's words, a delighted smile spread across Duke Leontine's aged face.

“Tidwell, you've been doing a great job. You've grown up so well. It would have been better if I had raised you properly since you were little. I'm sure you'd be so excellent by now.”

“..My lady has also grown up well.”

At the butler's words, Duke Leontine frowned at once.

“I raised her well yet she never showed an ounce of gratitude and always behaved as she pleased. Grew up well? That's funny.”

“If she grew up properly, she would have understood my heart that always worried about her succession! Do you know how humiliating it was to bring her in as my successor when we couldn't prove her legitimacy?”

Duchess Leontine gave her the surname Leontine, but she wasn't considered as his child. The issue of Ravia's legitimacy would always be the talk of the town.

The symbolic color of the family [silver hair] was not just about genetics. It was a symbol of blessing bestowed to the family by the first emperor. That's why the color matters.

In other words, the birth of a successor without silver hair meant two things.

Either the heir did not possess Leontine's blood, or the blessing that had been granted to Leontine had been cut off.

The latter case was a matter of family prestige. So, Ravia had to be an illegitimate daughter for the sake of the family.

“…But, your grace. Didn't you also know the fact that madam didn't commit an affair?”

For that reason, the fact that Ravia was the real daughter of Duke Leontine became a problem.

“I know very well that Your Grace loved madam with all your heart.”

The duke and the duchess were arranged in a political marriage, but their relationship was not only harmonious, but also affectionate. Duke Leontine and his wife loved each other deeply.