Chapter 54

The butler had made it clear.

After a long while thinking, he decided to only appoint her as the acting head of the family while he was away from the mansion.

Duke Leontine also knew that he was just giving her false hope. He knew it would be wiser to not give her a seat when she wasn't supposed to have any seat at all.

Knowing all that, the butler tried to dissuade him.

-Your Excellency, this doesn't mean anything for My Lady. She's a very prideful lady….

-Do you think I don't know that?

Duke Leontine was stern. No, it was right to say that he won't back down anymore.

-I know that much, butler. But I'm afraid she'll look at me….with eyes that don't want anything.

His daughter resembled her mother too much. Not to mention the way his wife looked at him before she died.

-My wife…..was a person who knew her death better than a doctor. I still remember her talking to me about her death.

Her eyes, her voice and her expression.

Things that he had managed to forget in the past few years overlapped with images of Ravia.

A sense of fear finally took hold of him. It didn't matter even if she pointed a finger at him for being insincere.

-I just….hope that Ravia will return to her old self, even a little bit.

On a day that he couldn't even remember, a little girl looked up to him with twinkling eyes.

At that time, he turned away because he was afraid to face the eyes that resembled his dead wife's.

And when he met her eyes again after a long time, she still looked exactly like his dead wife.

Her appearance, her aura.

However, if there was one thing that changed, it was the fact that he could no longer turn a blind eye to her.

It was unfortunate how things had turned this way, especially at times like this.

'But after all this is over, His Majesty will officially step down.'

It won't be too late to have a proper conversation with Ravia again.

But contrary to his idea, Heint Leontine met face-to-face again with Ravia much earlier than expected.

A while ago, as he was packing coats for his outing, there was a knock on the door.

Knock, knock.

A clear sound followed by a dull murmur.

“It's Ravia, Father. May I come in?”

“…Ravia? Co– come on in.”

Having been thinking about his daughter a little while before, Heint replied like a thief caught red-handed.