Chapter 20

To be exact, it was a pair of earrings with the ability to alter one's voice, but it was also a tool that could change one's appearance momentarily if it was raised to its maximum capacity.

However, it only functioned for a couple of minutes upon activation even when the process to activate it took quite a long time. Moreover, it was only possible if the user had a detailed image of the person he wanted to copy.

In fact, it was never used and was kept on display. So, why would he want those earrings instead of getting tax money from Seirin Street?

“What the hell are you up to?”

“Come on. Quit your nonsense.”

“I don't think my dear partner is the type that would fancy these pretty earrings. I wonder why these earrings are worth more than Seirin Street,” Herod asked.

However, Tidwell did not answer. The gentle smile he always wore was nowhere to be seen.

He shut his mouth, avoided eye contact, and said, “I have something to take care of.”

That was all.

'That's why, just in case, I had people follow him..'

Herod did not expect that Tidwell would use that piece of junk to fool his sister.

Herod smiled despondently, and sat not too far from them. He wanted to hear their conversation.

However, what he heard was really unexpected.

“I wanted to see you here because Velocio is the best place I can tell you about the spring user I know of, Herod.”

*** 

Completely unaware that she was being deceived, Ravia brought up the bait she prepared during the interlude before the finale.

“I wanted to see you here because Velocio is the best place I can tell you about the spring user I know of, Herod.”

“…Oh, is that so?”

He acted as if he had forgotten about the spring user I mentioned before, but perhaps she was simply overthinking things. And so, Ravia decided to ignore it.

“I thought you'd bring it up first, but you didn't.”

“I was planning to do so once the play was over.”

“You don't seem like the type that has that much free time, do you? Both you and I.”

To be honest, Ravia was eager to sign the contract right away, but she shouldn't be too obvious with her real intentions in front of him.

It was risky. This contract would only be meaningful if she acted as though she didn't care. She had to behave as if she had nothing to lose if the contract fell through. Because of that, she needed to make an appropriate excuse.

“I was grounded because I met you last time. I have to return before anyone knows I sneaked out.”

“You managed to sneak out despite the tight security. As far as I know, there's no back door in the Leontine Residence.”