Chapter 83

The room in the villa struggled unsuccessfully to conceal its age.

Heint, Duke Leontine was pacing up and down the precarious wooden floor. His usually polished demeanor betrayed his anxiety.

How could he not?

His recent discoveries had hit him hard in the back of the head.

Bang! Heint slammed his fist on the innocent desk. As a result, some papers scattered across the desk.

Those papers had caused Heint to keep his head down for the past 15 days, so much so that ink stained the tip of his nose.

Those papers contained information about the drugs known as ‘dark flower,’ which were widely distributed in the underworld.

Those were the items handed over to Heint by the Emperor as he issued orders for an investigation. Among the information contained in those papers, the most notable aspect was the utility of the Dark Flower.

Dark Flower was essentially a drug with an additional purpose aside from inducing a state of relaxation.

Hypnosis.

His vision blurred by constant re-reading, Heint went over the paper that he had read countless times yet again.

[…The results show that Dark Flower is a strange mix of multiple drugs. The effects seem to be controlled by combining drugs with an opposing effect, and it is believed that the main effect is a poison that causes hallucinations.

The mixing ratio cannot be confirmed because the poison and the counterbalance drug are not yet known, but it has been confirmed through testimony that a controlled amount can blur the line between consciousness and unconsciousness, making it possible to insert suggestion through hypnosis]

The following is a transcript of testimony given by a dealer apprehended by the Imperial Family. This was the most important point.

Only one person knew the ratio of Dark Flower’s ingredients and used it to hypnotize and insert suggestions. That man was certainly the first distributor and the sole owner of the Dark Flower’s distribution rights.

Initially, Heint was only surprised by the danger of this drug when he first read the document. But, suddenly, he remembered feeling foggy in his head about two months ago.

But he had brushed it off, thinking it was all in his head and that he was getting senile.

Until the fog cleared up.

It was difficult to forget the sensation of the brain fog fading away. On the contrary, he’d been very forgetful when the fog was thick in his head.

Of the five senses, smell is said to be the most tied to memory. He remembered a strong scent of magnolia. And the next thing he saw was an empty and dark salon.
No, it wasn’t entirely empty. Because a man sat opposite him.

He thought it would be nice if he could see the man’s face clearly, but the salon was dark. It didn’t help that Heint was so drowsy. His body was as heavy as a leather bag filled with water.

Rational thinking was hindered as he was caught between a confused mind and an overwhelmingly heavy body, yet only one thing was clear. The familiar low voice belonged to a man.

-I heard you were hesitant to make your only daughter your heir because she doesn’t have silver hair.

-……

-Aren’t you worried that your blonde-haired heir is not legitimate?

Heint simply nodded as he listened to his argument.