Chapter 98

What Ravia wanted to disclose was simple.

The carriage accident that killed Duke Leontine was a cleverly crafted murder.

If you know the method, what’s so hard about taking revenge?

“There are many ways to pay back without dirtying your hands, Vincent.”

Ravia handed him the revenge sword.

And Vincent looked at the young lady as if he couldn’t believe what he heard.

It wasn’t a look of awe or admiration as others might have.

And it wasn’t the kind of gaze belonging to the knights whose sense of duty was ignited

Rather, it was more like an unextinguished spark of sadness.

During the mourning period for Duke Leontine, Vincent was certain that he was the one who cried the most in the mansion.

And that he was the most responsible for his death.

It happened because he couldn’t serve the duke properly.

The weight of those words managed to keep him awake all day and night.

He also had some resentment toward Ravia.

Since people who are grieving intensely often look for someone else to blame.

He hated the young lady who lured him into the Leontine mansion.

If it wasn’t for her, he would have taken the duke to the palace safely.

Even if the accident was unavoidable, he could sacrifice himself for Duke Leontine to survive by any means possible.

Vincent was tormented by countless assumptions.

Even when he was told to take the lady to Duke Leontine’s funeral this morning, he could feel nothing but resentment.

He was tormented by the reality that he must go to the funeral of the benefactor of his life whom he couldn’t repay.

The fact that he had to escort his benefactor’s daughter, who didn’t look as sad as him.

But all that thought disappeared by the time he faced Ravia in a black cloth.

What’s the use resenting such a skinny and pale-faced girl? She was just another victim of the duke’s death, just like himself.

She was robbed of her status as a successor due to Duke Leontine’s mistake, and the father who belatedly apologized died in an accident, and all that was left was this gaunt young lady.

Clovia said she didn’t get up for two days after she collapsed.

-I’m worried because my lady refuses to eat anything. What if something bad happens to my lady, too…she didn’t eat anything and just lay down as if she were dead….

Clovia made a fuss about how she really looked like a dying person, and that she didn’t look like the young lady she knew before.

He thought it wasn’t that serious because Clovia would always become unhinged at the smallest thing.

But it turned out Clovia wasn’t exaggerating when he saw the lady today.

She looked completely helpless compared to when she told him to escort her back to the mansion.

To the point he wondered if it was possible for someone to change that drastically in a span of a few days.

But the moment he saw the blade lurking beyond that spare face, Vincent realized.