Chapter 42

In short, it was a problem that could be solved over time.

Crow tilted his head, dazed by Ravia's explanation.

“Miss, you're always….thinking ahead of me, but I'm not sure what you confide in and why you're so relaxed about this matter. Even today, you ran into trouble in Bluewell.”

Ravia's expression changed instantly at Crow's grumble.

“How did you know?”

“It's more difficult not to recognize people who are born aristocrats like you. Blue and aristocrats may look similar in the eyes of slum people. But those who are quick-witted and resourceful will quickly notice. Rumor will spread soon.”

Do you think your enemy won't hear about that rumor?

A cynical smile rose in her face as she listened to Crow, who chided her for lowering her guard. However, it was not simply her usual cold smile, there was a hint of liveliness in that sarcastic grin.

“I guess so. Tidwell would have found out in no time anyway. With that power and intelligence, is there anything he doesn't know?”

“You know everything, but why are you so relaxed? You know that you're getting more and more pushed into checkmate—”

You know.

Crow stopped talking when he realized the meaning of that word. Crow was also familiar with it.

Ravia wasn't a pushover. She was that kind of woman who knows exactly the result of her actions.

Yet, she positioned herself to being targeted like this,

“Miss, have you perhaps….done it on purpose?”

“Why would you think otherwise?”

Ravia twisted her mouth loosely. Her voice broke the silence and was enough to change Crow's doubt into conviction.

Watching Crow twist his mouth up, Ravia leaned back against the sofa. Feeling drowsy and lethargic, her eyelids slowly dropped on her expressionless face.

“The queen is the most important piece in chess.”

No one would care about other pawns when the queen moved.

In a monotone, she kindly explained to her underling.

“Crow, I've never told you about my plans in detail, so I understand why you're so curious about everything,”

Ravia crawled to the underworld where the path was covered with glass shards and walked a tightrope of her own volition. That's why in his eyes Ravia was so hard to understand.

Of course, he knew Ravia's situation to some extent, so he would've known that she wanted to avoid being killed by Tidwell. And her original plan was really about avoiding death.

But the situation did not unfold as simply as a chess game, where there was only a win or lose outcome.

“I still don't understand Tidwell's intentions yet. The situation has turned ambiguous, and the string around my neck is getting tighter. I'm just doing the best I can.”