Chapter Thirty Four Meeting up in Person

March 30th

(Anna Newhouse) Today I am headed into downtown St. Louis to meet up with my little brothers newly adoptive mom and hopefully the meeting goes over smoothly, Though something has crossed my mind and that is where am I going to stay when I'm not college! I mean my birth home is completely gone along with all of my family minus my little brother and all of my belongings besides what I have here at school.

Once I had arrived in the downtown district of St. Louis I had arrived outside of the meeting place which so happens to be a local diner, After I had parked in the parking lot I quickly headed inside the diner to my surprise the diner was completely empty of customers, The only ones that were there was all the staff along with a four foot five tall woman sitting in a booth.

I was then escorted by the hostess over to where the woman was sitting and once I had been seated the hostess put two menus on the table before she said Justin your waiter will be with you both shortly before she walked away, I was very nervous about meeting this woman and so I want to make the best first impression possible, As if she could read my thoughts The lady said you don't have to be nervous sugar, I then said sorry.

The lady stuck out her hand and then she said Hi my name is Mildred Knowlastname but you can call me Millie it's so nice to finally be able to meet Anna your little brother has told me a lot about you, And I would like to give you my condolences for your losses, I wasn't expecting my little brother's new mom to be so humble and caring about what I currently am going through.

After a few seconds of gathering my thoughts together I said thanks it means a lot to hear that from you Millie, I'm just at a huge loss of what to do when I'm not in school during break's because I can't go back home anymore, Millie then said my husband and I have talked a lot about this and we have come up with a solution to the problem, Millie then slid a Manila envelope across the table to me.

I looked at the envelope before I took it into my hands and I began to open it up with shaking hands, after opening the envelope I pulled out an official adoption certificate from the envelope and I began to read it over, I read it over and at the bottom of the document was the signatures of Millie and her husband who claimed me as their own daughter.

I just sat in shock for a few minutes before I asked Is this one hundred percent real Mellie? Millie nodded her head and she said it absolutely is sugar plum! I I don't know what to say and Millie said as she grasped my hands into her you don't have to say anything dear, Millie said my husband Moxxie and I know that you are legally an adult but you have nowhere to go when you're not in school, and neither Moxxie or I will force you to call us mom or dad if you don't want.

I know that this will be a huge adjustment for you but do know that you aren't alone she then wiped away the tears that were running down my face, Before coming here to meet today I was very uncertain about what my future holds and if I could ever see James again, thankfully I was wrong about everything and I wasn't going to be homeless when I'm not in school.