Chapter 7

The next day at the station, Scott came in early to catch up with what is going on with Kirstie. Scott, Mitch, and Kirstie sit around and talked during commercials breaks and while songs were playing.

"So whats been going on in the life of Kirstie Maldonado?" Mitch asks sipping a cup of tea.

"Nothing much." Kirstie answered keeping an eye on the control board.

"Well something is going on, you rush out of here every evening like you have a plane to catch." Scott says.

"Well, I know you both are gonna think I'm nuts, but I've made a couple of friends down on Skid Row." Kirstie said knowing she was fixing to get some negative feedback.

"Friends on Skid Row? You mean bums?" Mitch said wrinkling his nose.

"They are not bums, Mitch. They're homeless." Kirstie argued.

"They are still bums and they smell really bad." Mitch says pushing his bangs back.

"Kirst, I know you and you want to bring home every stray dog you see". Scott says.

"They are NOT stray dogs, Scott!!" Kirstie says getting angry.

"No I know they're not. I didn't mean it the way it sounded. They're people. You can't adopt every one you see, like a pet." Scott says.

"There's just two, Kevin and Patches. Kevin is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. And Patches is a real sweetheart. He doesn't talk and he's just the sweetest thing." Kirstie says smiling.

"You said it right when you said 'thing'. Take my advice and stay away from there." Mitch says heading back to his office.

Kirstie rolls her eyes. "Scott, you would love them if you ever met them."

"Well, I don't plan on going to Skid Row any time soon. Just be careful. I've heard there was a lot of crazies down there." Scott said getting ready to take her place.

She goes and checks her schedule to make sure she was off for the next two days. She waves bye and heads out the door. She flags down a taxi and heads to Skid Row.

****

Kevin and Patches sit in their usual spot. Every time a taxi comes by Patches raises up stretching his neck to see if Kirstie was in it. When the taxi passes on by, he slumps back down.

Kevin chuckles, "Will you relax. She'll be here. I think Patches has a little crush on Kirstie." Patches pouts and shakes his head several times. Causing Kevin to laugh harder.

Finally a taxi stops, Patches jumps up when he see Kirstie inside. He runs toward the street with Kevin yelling at him, "Patches!! Don't you dare go into the street!!"

He stops right before going into the street waiting for her to get out.

She gets out smiling, "Hey Sweetie." She calls to him as he grabs her into a hug. She giggles hugging him back. "Did you miss me?" 

He nods once, grabs her hand and pulls her back to where Kevin was. Patches neatly lays down his garbage bag and pats it. She sits down looking at Kevin smiling and shaking her head.

Kevin laughs, "I believe someone is excited to see you."

"I believe so." She says looking at Patches as he squeezes in between her and Kevin.

_____________________________________________________________________

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS!!! And if you like this story PLEASE VOTE!!!!!!

**  AMERICA!!  **