Letter to My Son

Dear Son,

How are you? Hope you remember me and I won't blame you if you don't, as I left you when you were just a new born baby to serve our country, our mother. I was destined to meet up with the calls she make. If not now, you'll someday realise the patriotism to our mother nation stands prominent before everything else, even to ones own family.

I know you are all grown up now and after two years of my service in the foreign land, I understood I have intentionally sacrificed the meaning of a man's life, his child, for fighting against some innocent people in the far away land who were never a threat to anyone.

The children I meet during my patrol remind me of you. Your little fingers that touched my cheeks when I held you for the first time, close to my heart, at the hospital. The little cry you made when you were born, the first cry which I cherished through the tough times in the expenditure. The pink mouth that sucked on my small finger which I caressed even after years, as if your mouth is still upon it.

The small photo which was allowed on my travel was of you and your mom's first moment. That picture has a significance in my life, as you both were born at the same time, she, as a mother and you, as our angel.

For years, I only had a chance of meeting you through your mother's letters, that came as a heap, occasionally. I read them quickly and repeatedly, to know how much you are grown up. This is my first letter directed to you and hope to meet you soon, though I cannot tell you how soon.

I am on the wait, to receive the order of leave from my higher officials, so that I can come home for the winter holiday season to enjoy the snow and you. Hopefully, it will be sanctioned and who knows, I can be home before the letter does. I am super excited about meeting you for the second time. For now, Merry Christmas and Happy New year, in advance. I love you.

Yours Lovingly
Dad.

Tears rolled down her cheeks, as she reread the letters from her love to her son. Standing in the snow, tightly hugging her two year old, she clutched the letter to her heart. As he stated in the letter, he came home before the letter did, in the coffin, shot twice on the heart.

____________________

Author's Note: Akiprabagar (02/01)

Dedicated to the Army Men defending us from all the disasters.

Real heroes! Do you agree with me? Salute their selfless sacrifices.

Hit the star if you like the work!