THE LOVE FOR MY MOTHER

Dark!   

That's how everything was.

Dark, black and cold!

When I opened my eyes today, all I could see was the darkness around me. I had been at many places before, in the blue, in the green, even in the black; but this was nothing like those. It was dark to an extent, that I could not even see my brothers sitting beside me.

My brothers, just the thought of them sent waves through my body. We were all thwins. There are thousands of us and we all look the same. Yes, we may have some minor differences, something of ourselves to call us apart, but for an outsider, we all look the same. But no, I am nothing like my brothers.

I could feel them all around me, whispering among themselves. They can be real loud when they want; while on other times, they would even sneak through the most secure places. Though sadly, no one employ them as spies because of their small bodies and very low strength. But that doesn't stop them from destroying everything that crosses their path.

All those images came to my mind, the images of the destruction they had caused. I was lost in those devastating memories, when I felt the familiar push. They were ready again; ready to obliterate whatever that stands below. And sadly, whether I wanted it or not, they were dragging me with them as well. They always did.

We were all sliding down that dark place, our slick bodies making it very easy. I tried to post as much resistance as my weak body allowed, but the force from my brothers was too much for me. Finally, I let it all go and within no time, we were out of that dark, black and cold place.

The first thing that I noticed coming out of that place was light, and lots of it. It was a blinding white light. Being in that dark place for so long, this light hurt my eyes now. It took some time for my eyes to get accustomed to it. And when they did, I could clearly see the source of it. Far from where I was, there it was, that yellow devil which was the hub of all the things happening to us.

I was about to shout some curses at it, when it disappeared behind one of my uncles. Many of my uncles were up there, dropping my cousins all over the place. Wait, my uncles and cousins? That could only mean one thing. That dark, black and cold place was my dad.

Oh! If only I had known it before, I'd have cherished the little time I was with him. But why didn't I recognize him? It must be all that traveling I did. I don't even remember when the last time I was with him was. It feels like an eternity. But nothing of that mattered now. Because I was on my way back, back to my mother.

With all the force she had, she was pulling us all towards her. All my brothers had a determined look on their face; they looked ready to face whatever was in their path; but I was not. For them, it was a race to get to her as quickly as they could. Not me though, not me.

Before I could contemplate any ways to escape this, I hit something. I had reached my destination.

But wait, this is not my mother. This is someone else, someone smooth. A weird place I must say. I've been in the lush green grass before, but this is different. This is black! I wonder what part of mother grows this king of grass.

After a humongous effort, I finally succeed in getting out of that. As soon as I escape that, I slide on a very smooth thing, and then jump of the tip of it. But as they say, "fall from the sky, and land in hell."

Because what I saw next was more than hell. There, right before my eyes stood a human. As if that was not enough, he was holding me on one of his fingers. Oh no, oh no, no, not at all! My mind went to as overdrive, thinking of all the possible ways he can harm me. Take revenge of all the destruction my brothers cause to them.

But no, he did nothing like that. False alarm, I told my mind. The human was looking at me with intent. Oh wait, he wasn't looking at me, he was watching right through me, as if I was transparent. I mean I was, but still, that doesn't give the human any right to ignore me like that. I mean I have feelings too. I was so, so angry.

This is an uncertain world though. Things can change in a blink. And that's what happened. All my anger, all that rage; it all changed into fear. The human was taking me near his own eyes. You are not contempt watching through me, that you want to look into me now? Watch what I ate? I shouted at him, but he didn't stop.

At last when he stopped, we are eye-to-eye. We were both staring in each others eyes. What evil plans does that phantom of devil in his mind have?

The human studied me for some time, then he glanced up towards my father. Was he cursing my father? He was so, so dead. I didn't support my brothers when they wreck havoc of the humans, but I'm definitely going to hurt this scrawny one. No one says bad words for my father, no one!

"Why?" I suddenly heard a voice.

It was the human. He was speaking to someone. But there was no one around, I couldn't see anyone else. Then who was he speaking to?

"Why rain drops, why?" he spoke again.

Wait, me? He was speaking to me? The day was just getting creepier with time. First, I fail to recognize my own father, than my brothers drag me to mother again, and now this. A human is talking to me!

"Why do you always leave him?" he asked again, looking at my father, "Why do you come down every year, even when you're not treated well on Earth?"

I had no answer to that. I never like it. I always want to spend more and more time with my father. But still, I never get to do that. I always come back to my mother, but why? There was absolutely no answer.

The human slowly let me slide off his finger. I was finally going to meet mother again. And in that small moment between, I felt like the whole world was lost around me. Only one thought played in my mind.

"No matter what, I keep falling for her. Even after all the difficulties I face here, I always fall for Earth. And with each passing day, I fall even harder."  

***

Just like the sun, we all need water as well for our survival. 

But when the rain decides to wreck havoc, the destruction is not in the hands of humans.

And with every passing year, its coming down even harder.

But again, is there anything we can do to change this?

***

Based on a micro-tale by I_noticed32

cchinu