Mithura

In the river banks of Mathura, sat a girl with the veil, covering her beautiful face. The soothing sound of the flowing river waters, the hustling sounds of the blowing winds and the rustling whispers of the swaying tress fascinated her. The serene surroundings always helped her calm her mind.

Unlike the other days, even her most favorite spot couldn't bring peace to her, today. A pool of thoughts whirled a havoc within her mind. The crystal clear waters reflected her face, not missing even the slightest amount of pain her eyes withheld.

She was always under the control of her parents, grounded under many restrictions. She wasn't allowed to; speak her mind, voice her opinion, lift up her head in front of elders, stand in front of or talk to boys. She had always wondered why her parents were old fashioned during this modern era. Sometimes, she used to overhear a group of girls of her age, talking about their dreams and their days in college.

Since then, Mithura wished to go to college and do her higher studies. She wanted to be a music director or a photographer, as she loved the sounds of nature. When she had said that to her mom today, she abused her and locked her up in her room. And also, she was forced to hear an hour long lecture from her dad, which he did almost everyday. Mithu cried out her hearts content, till her eyes were red and puffy. Not being able to withstand the stress, she climbed out of her window and mustering up some courage, she scurried to her spot near the lake.

She pondered on the things her parents said. She had had enough of it already. She was wondering what will happen if she speaks up against her parents and follow her passion. After long hours of debating she came to a conclusion. Wiping off the tears and throwing off the veil, she stood upright facing the world. She let her hair flow free and drowned the metal ring that hung in her hand. The fury that burnt in her eyes matched the bold and brisk steps she took. With the little savings she had, she managed to pursue her passion.

And that day a rebellious writer and a marvellous musician in her was born.

**************************************************************

(17/04)

By - Kyra