Sunrise

I am not a morning person, neither a walking nor a jogging one. As usual, my mother lashes at me with her traditional early morning wake up calls. Though I never lean my ears towards it, she still pesters me at five forty-five in the morning, to remove myself from my comfortable bed.

"Alright, I'm awake," I holler back, pulling my blanket above my head, in an attempt to cover myself from her unpleasant words, but in vain.

I'm still not able to open my heavy eyes, but an unusual thought crosses my mind. My mother usually asks me a question, "Have you ever seen the beauty of rising sun?"

Answer to her question is, of course no. As long as I can remember, I never wake up before nine in the morning; not even if my life depends on it. Today, I want to break my record. As much as, it is weird, I don't know what gets into me, that pushes me to stand on my legs.

Shoving my comfortable covers, I stand up and briskly walk towards the bathroom. Quickly washing my face and brushing my teeth, I slip on my gym outfit - black racer back tank top and tights. I decide against wearing make-up so early in the morning. So, I just put on my sneakers and hop down the stairs.

"I'm going for a run, mom. Love ya!" I blow a flying kiss, when I pass my mother who is making our morning coffee.

She stands still, looking at me with a wide open mouth. I wish a fly explores the inners of her mouth. I smirk.

I run to the door, without giving any chance for my mother to speak. But the look on her face is worth a million, that's for sure. I laugh to myself when I open the front door and step outside, into the cold breeze.

I shiver slightly as the light wind touches my bare skin, and ruffles my hair. I am accustomed to cold weather, but this is something different; so clean and refreshing. No wonder they say morning breezes are healthy.

I close my eyes, and sniff in deep, enjoying the smell of the rain. I wonder if it is going to rain, for the scent is strong. However, I walk down the driveway, and to the street's sidewalk. The sun hasn't risen up in the sky yet, so a little grey light hovers over the buildings.

I wave at my neighbor, Mr. Rahman, who is watering his garden. He smiles back and nods. Weird! Because I have never seen him smile at me.

Pamila aunty, my mom's friend comes towards me in her salwar-khameez that clings to her obese curves. Sweat coats her forehead and stains her dress.

"Hey, Priya," she greets enthusiastically, but strides past me; busy in her walking.

I shake my head smiling, after she passes me. No matter what she does, she remains in the same weight, as long as I can remember. I can give her a tip : Do not go for digging into the pastries after every walking session. But, I refrain myself from saying that out loud. I giggle to myself whenever she complains about the ineffective workouts and walking sessions she goes through.

Few meters ahead, I see our usual vegetable vendor, who is effectively in buisness; selling fresh vegetables to the ladies. He gives me a gesture that means good morning and I do the same, smiling. The ladies are bargaining to him, and he turns his attention to them with scrunched nose which is funny. No one can change Indian ladies! I tell myself, before walking past them.

I turn the corner. I can see the beach, its golden sand is infested with people and their pets - walking, running and jogging. Some sits on the shore. I break my walk into jog, in an anticipation to reach the beach soon. I want to see the sunrise today.

I make it to the glorious resource eventually. I walk lazily on the sand while looking around at the people. The other side of the beach is devoid of people, serene and calm. I find a comfortable spot and sit down, wiping the glittering particles of soil on my tights.

The sun peeks out of the horizon, spreading its blazing tentacles around it and casting the light in all direction. As the sun climbs out of its hiding place, slowly yet steadily, certain rays of colours sparkled in the mid-air. It expanded its wings, forming a perfect curve, bridging the shore and the sea.

"That's so beautiful! Look... A rainbow!" someone exclaims. And there are ahh's and ohh's watching the elegance of nature.

The sun shows half of its physique - the orange, red, and yellow colour hues paints the clear sky. I have seen the paintings on sunrise, but never the natural one. It is perfect like a picture and I'm awe-struck watching the raving beauty with my own eyes. That's unbelievable! No kind of adjectives, or metaphors can describe the beauty that's displayed in front of my eyes.

I've missed you, Sunrise!

"I've missed you, Sunrise!" I speak out loud, still my eyes fixed on the nature's charms.

"You didn't miss the sunrise," a voice say, which belongs to my mother? Did she follow me here? What the hell is she doing here, ruining my one time delight?

I swivel my head in all the direction to find her, but I can't see her.

"Now, stop whirling your head, and get up. Enough of the sleeping. It's almost 9.30, and your sunrise is in your cup on the table." My mother keeps talking which makes no sense to me. Is that even possible to put the sunrise in the cup? Then it strikes me...

I sit up on the bed, my eyes heavy from sleeping... The cup bearing my hot sunrise sits on the table; its steam brings out the wonderful aroma with it.

What?!

------------------------

Hola lovelies... Everyone must have gone through this, I presume...

Happy Reading...

Aki~♥
Akiprabagar (29/05)