A Black Out - Part 3 of 3

Nataraj could see that the man had passed out as he was driving to the police station.

Karan's memories were in a real bad shape. He was getting bits and pieces of his memory and it just was not fitting in the whole picture. And Karan's guilt was almost threatening to kill him. What he was remembering was worse than almost anything that the cops or his own brother could do to him.

The jeep stopped outside the station and Nataraj could see that the man was still unconscious. Slowly, the constable helped Karan up, who woke up with start looking shocked out of his wits.

"I didn't kill her," Karan said whispering, his words slurring real bad. "I luv her," Karan muttered as Nataraj helped the man inside the police station. "Peas..." Karan was begging to no one in particular. "Someone please believe me." Karan whispered.

"Sit here," the constable told the man. "We will wait for the inspector and then see what happens." Nataraj said taking a deep breath. He did not even consider handcuffing the man. Nataraj knew that the man was too much broken. Far too much for him to consider anything and escape was not even on the mind.

*******

Inspector Varun came to the police station almost two hours later and as far as Nataraj could see, Karan had not moved an inch from the bench in those two hours.

Nataraj took the file and looked hesitatingly as Varun nodded. "A complaint was registered by Lavelle, Constable." Varun said sounding formal again. "A man in their premises was missing and they are still taking the inventory of the stuff, but it seems something is missing from Lavelle. We have to search for this man – Urjit Sachit." Varun pulled out a passport size photo from his pocket and handed it over to constable. "Register this complaint."

Varun came inside and saw Karan angrily and came up near the brother. "I thought you were off the crap after college!" Varun said in a sneering whisper. "Rejection made you take up the drugs again?" Varun demanded.

Karan said nothing as Nataraj came near the inspector who handed over the file over to constable.

"Mr. and Mrs. Karan Terakh?" Varun sneered angrily at Karan. "What were you trying to do? Renting two adjacent rooms in your name?" Varun asked viciously. "You planned to kill her all along, didn't you?" Varun asked. "Is that why you asked her to come to your office and pick you up?"

Karan was as silent as a tombstone as Varun continued.

"Records the chargesheet, Nataraj," Varun said savagely. "We received the call in the morning at around 5.30 that the occupant in Room 412 in Hotel Meridia, was not opening the door and that the TV sound in his room was very loud and no matter how much the people in the neighbouring room called, the man inside the room was not opening the door. The manager fearing the worst called up the cops. When the cops opened the door, they found the waiter dead in the room. It appears like the waiter was just going off duty because he was wearing normal clothes and not the hotel uniform. The waiter was strangled by the TV cable in the room. Death was practically instantaneous. In the adjoining room which was connected by a connecting door, were Karan Tarekh.." Varun said angrily, "..and a Ms. Charulatha Sundar. They were registered as husband and wife. The body of Charulatha was found in the cupboard. She was shot to the back of the forehead." Karan winced as Varun continued savagely, "The murder weapon and the murderer – Karan Terakh, were both found in the scene of crime. Karan Tarekh was barely conscious presumably because he was on drugs. It seems to be a crime committed out of jealousy. It appears that the waiter interfered in the scene and Karan strangled the man"

Nataraj nodded and walked away as Varun savagely walked towards Karan. "Her parents are coming, you bastard!" Varun sneered angrily. "I am in half a mind to leave you with them. And I really pray that they kill you." Varun said angrily. "I am ashamed to call you my brother," Varun continued in the same scorned voice. "What was it that went so wrong with you? First drugs...."