HIS BELOVED PET

"Mine," Ameya said excited.

He pats him on the back, gently caressing his soft coat and nibbling behind his ears. The dog didn't make a sound, but Ameya knew he liked this.

He had always wanted a pet, someone who he can talk to, someone to share his joys; and someone to console in his grief. Ameya had got that friend today.

"Mom will be shocked if she saw you," he said looking in the dog's eyes, "she doesn't like dogs."

His mom always hated dogs; or any other animal for that matter. Ameya couldn't understand how someone could hate dogs. They were the best things out there, and the only ones who really understood him.

Mom would freak out, he thought. "But don't worry," he calmed the dog, "I'll hide you well, I promise."

His room was big enough for the dog to roam freely. And the wardrobe – which was still half empty – it could be a nice place to hide him when mom came up. Or the dog can hide behind his desk, with the chair in front of it, mom won't even know. Yes, Ameya thought, I will protect him from all odds.

The dog must have sensed his thoughts, because Ameya felt the dog lick his hand. He gave a shrewd smile, knowing that this was the way for the dog to show affection.

"Rocky would be a nice name for you," he continued grooming him, "don't you think?"

Ameya thought for a little before speaking again. "It doesn't suit your personality that much."

Ameya saw the dog again. His soft fur was almost a contrast for his features. Those big brown eyes, they were similar to his, but they had much more spark. His claws weren't that sharp, but the fangs were razor like. Ameya knew he had to be extra careful around the fangs. This dog could hurt him if he wanted. Yet, Ameya's love for the dog didn't budge a bit.

"I think Sheru would be good for you," he said with a sigh, "yes, that's perfect."

Ameya would have definitely heard his mom climb the stairs, especially the last creaking one, had he not been lost in the dog's eyes. And even if the stairs failed to creak, Ameya would have unmistakably heard his mom calling his name repeatedly. But no, he didn't, not until it was too late.

His mom was already in the room. Though she should be, she wasn't surprised to see Ameya lost in the dog's eyes. It had become quite a habit lately.

She hurriedly snatched the drawing from his hand, and said in a stern voice, "I was calling you for so long."

"Oh, sorry," Ameya apologized.

***

This story is based on a drabble written by Visualseeker (10/05)